Any recommendations on a Firewire ext HDD?

Reaction score
I need to get an extrenal drive pretty soon, it will be my first in the Mac world, I want it to be firewire for 2 reasons, 1. to free up my other USB ports and 2. (I'm hoping) can a firewire drive be daisy chained with more drives?

anyone out there have a good opinion on what drive?
500GB type.

once again, thanks in advance for all your replies.

Jimmy!

Reaction score
I have the Western Digital 500gig, 800firewire drive hooked to my 24", 2.8 Imac and am very happy with it. It's fast and quiet. I got my best price on it at the local Apple Store. They were cheaper than Best Buy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
There are plenty of recommendations here in the "Other Hardware & Peripherals" forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I am using G-Tech's G-Drives. I have two of their 250 GB drives and love them. Fast, quiet and trouble free. Available in both Firewire 400 and Firewire 800.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2, Hac Pro
I got a WD MyBook Home (500GB) with Firewire/USB/eSata when I got my MacBook. Best Buy had it on sale for $110. Its an awesome drive. The black matches my MacBook and the lights on the front(which are very entertaining) match the light on the MacBook. Its very quiet. Highly recomend it.

I also have an old 200gb Maxtor USB. It is very noisey, but it has been great for the two years I have owned it. It is used soley for TimeMachine now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2ghz,1 GB, 250 gig
lacie is the way to go.had mine 3 years now.have never heared anything bad about them.not the cheapest,but worth every penny.use it with" superduper".realy easy and free backup programm.
ps :can anyone tell me how to post a new thread.cant find the correct page,and button to hit....? thanks g

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
I have Maxtor one touch for 2-3 years and have not had a problem with it. They come with FW 400.

gazza77 look at the top left just above the thread listing and you will see a button called "new thread"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2ghz,1 GB, 250 gig
sanity1082 thanks for the help.didnt realize you had to be on that specific page to start new thread
like your stunt-mouse by the way.where dyou find it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.