Matched Ram

Reaction score
So i have a 2.16 ghz macbook pro which is only capable of seeing 3.3 gigs of memory. So i put in a 2gb stick i got from crucial, the other stick is the standard 1gb apple stick in there. Is this mixed ram slowing me down, would it be better to buy another 2gb stick from crucial so that i have the matched ram or would i not be able to tell a difference? thanks guys

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It's optimal to have matched pairs, but you probably wouldn't ever notice a difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Why did you jump to 3GB? The jump from <1 to 2 is substantial, but I hear going to 3 is hard to notice unless you're doing hard core photo / video editing.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why did you jump to 3GB? The jump from <1 to 2 is substantial, but I hear going to 3 is hard to notice unless you're doing hard core photo / video editing.

Memory needs are entirely subjective. What one person needs, another person might not. It's entirely dependent on what programs you use and how your system is configured.

I have made it a "mission" of mine to educate folks on how and why memory "adds performance" to a machine. To that end, here's a post from another thread that I think sums it up nicely:

...As far as noticing a difference - let me explain where the difference comes from.

It's important to understand what memory actually is. People often confuse memory with disk storage, and they are not the same thing. Memory is the space that programs are loaded into in order for the processor to process them. When a program is no longer running, the memory space is again available for loading other programs. Additionally, when a computer is rebooted, the memory is completely purged (as it is when you turn the computer off).

Disk storage is where your programs, documents and settings are permanently stored. It does not purge when you reboot.

OK, now with that out of the way, let's explain why adding memory can sometimes make a difference and sometimes not:

Back in days of old, computers had a fixed amount of memory. When you ran out of memory during an active session, you'd get an 'out of memory' error and you couldn't do anything until you shut down some programs or rebooted.

So, some genius came up with the concept of "virtual memory". Virtual memory is a space allocated on your hard disk that the computer "pretends" is real, physical memory. It's great because you never run out of memory and have to stop working or close some programs, but you have to realize that your hard disk is several orders of magnitude slower than real, physical memory. It's like the difference between going somewhere on a bicycle and flying somewhere on a plane.

This is where the performance issues come into play. If you don't have an adequate amount of physical memory, given the OS needs and the programs you routinely run, your computer will constantly be dipping into virtual memory. It will shuffle certain things in and out of VM, trying desperately to maintain optimal performance.

So, when you add memory to a machine that is using virtual memory on a regular basis, PRESTO, life gets better for your computer and it seems to operate faster. But if you add memory to a computer that already has adequate memory given what you run, you will see no difference in performance. Additionally, your computer becomes no faster than it was the day you removed it from the box, it's just that it's able to operate more efficiently, so in essence, it "feels" faster.

Does that make sense?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
That is a very good, concise explanation.

I do understand what RAM is and does, because I wanted to be a Computer Programmer a few years back. It was a great experience, learning all about the inside of computers and whatnot.

I was curious as to wesley7777 was using all of his RAM for, because like you said, what one person needs, another person might not.

I myself have 2GB of RAM on my MBP, and I was wondering how he was putting his 3.3GB to use.

PS. Do you mind if I copy your explanation down and show some of my computer-illiterate friends? I tend to confuse them when I attempt to discuss the wonders of Random Access Memory.

PPS. Do you know, by any chance, when that genius discovered the concept of virtual memory? (I'm only 18)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PS. Do you mind if I copy your explanation down and show some of my computer-illiterate friends? I tend to confuse them when I attempt to discuss the wonders of Random Access Memory.

Sure, no problem.

PPS. Do you know, by any chance, when that genius discovered the concept of virtual memory? (I'm only 18)

I would say VM first started appearing in Windows and Mac OS in the early 90s. To be quite honest, I don't remember as I was an Amiga user back then and the Amiga never had native support for it. it was somewhat of a curiosity to me then, particularly since the Amiga was so efficient with memory - I never could understand why it was necessary. But I digress...

OP
W
Reaction score
That is a very good, concise explanation.

I do understand what RAM is and does, because I wanted to be a Computer Programmer a few years back. It was a great experience, learning all about the inside of computers and whatnot.

I was curious as to wesley7777 was using all of his RAM for, because like you said, what one person needs, another person might not.

I myself have 2GB of RAM on my MBP, and I was wondering how he was putting his 3.3GB to use.

Well i will run parallels and autocad and so yeah it kind of does suck all my memory on my machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.