System Pref -> Startup Disk not showing main hard drive

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just finished restoring an image onto my new 250GB HDD for my macbook. However, upon boot, I would see a bright blank screen for a prolonged period before it finally boots into OS X Leopard. So I checked my startup disk. It turns out, there is nothing in the list except for the network startup.

I have no idea what's going on.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
I just finished restoring an image onto my new 250GB HDD for my macbook.
Did you initialize the HDD first, by running the Install disk and selecting the new drive?
And how was the image created?

OP
C
Reaction score
Um, basically I had the image on external HDD. When I booted using Leopard install disk, all I did was verify the image and restore it onto the new internal HDD. I did not initialize anything...

Did I screw up?

Thanks for your help...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You will need to start up your computer from the Install CD.
Upon startup, you should see a Dialog Box telling you that the drive is not initialized and asking if you would like to initialize it now. Click on "OK." The computer will complete the startup process and the drive should be mounted on the Desktop.

If if you do not get the dialog box at startup, open the "Utilities" folder on the CD and launch "Drive Setup." This will list all available drives and tell you if they can be initialized or not. Select the new drive from the list and click on "Initialize." Once the new drive is initialized, it should appear on the desktop.

Install the system software using the Install CD.
Have any problems, just post back!

Reaction score
Drive Setup?

I have the same problem as czhe.

I am not able to find Soulwar's Drive Setup on any installation CD, including the original Leopard CD and the system CD's that came with my MacBook Santa Rosa. Nothing really close. But maybe I am just missing it.

tvawter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
tvawter- Welcome!
With the Install disk, go to the menu bar and select Utilities-Disk Utility
You should see your new HD there and be able to initialize it.

Reaction score
slow learner

Thanks Soulwar. Don't know what I was thinking. I will quietly reformat the drive from an install CD , and hopefully that will fix it.

-tvawter

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.