Problem using an LCD tv as an external monitor

Reaction score
i am running leopard on a 12 in pb 1.3 gh computer.

i just bought a 40 in samsung lcd tv (4061f) and would like to be able to use the tv as a monitor... so i am using a mini-dvi to dvi converter and a dvi to hdmi cable to hook up the computer to the tv. when it switch the source to the computer, though, i get an empty desktop with a mouse arrow, but no desktop icons, menu bar, dock, etc. i don't think it's mirroring - there is no mouse on the pb screen to try to see what the settings are....

help please!!!

Reaction score
try and move the mouse off one side of the screen. you arent mirroring your screens so you will basically have 2 different desktops. once you get the mouse on your lappy screen you can get into system prefs and mirror the screens if you want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.2GHz 2GB RAM 120 GB HD 15" NVidia 8800MGT 128MB - iPhone 3G
your tv probably does not support the dvi to hdmi cable. i ran into the same problem with my 32 lcd tv. you need to use a vga cable.

use the mini-dvi to dvi cable, then the dvi to vga cable and plup it into the vga port in the tv. Look up the native resolution in the owners manual(720p should be 1360x768) and set that resolution on your mac in the display preferences.

hope this will help

Reaction score
1. Move your mouse all the way to the left or all the way to the right and it should show up on your laptop.
2. Go to system preferences.
3. Then displays
4. Arrangement tab (that tab will only show if you have the other monitor plugged in)
5. Then check the mirror displays box.
Then you should be good. :)
What you have right now is basically 2 desktops and you can drag windows from 1 screen to the next, giving you lots of desktop space.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.