Stick or twist?

B

blenford

I own and cherish my 2002 G3 800 iBook, 30Gb HD etc etc. It's given me sterling service and has travelled lots of places with me and helped me send stories (I'm a journo) back to rainy London from far away.

Problem is that nowadays, running OS X 10.2.can't remember what (.8, I think...) and weighed down with music, photos and the like, the whole thing pretty much creaks.

It's a bit sluggish, it's not going to get any quicker and the times they are a' changing (Apple discontinuing the original airport card just as i want one, for example).

Now I'm charmed by the new iMac G5 - I can afford it, the iBook just sits on a desk these days etc etc. So what to do? Get an iMac, find an airport card and keep the iBook for surfing and mobile stuff? Or bite the bullet, forget how much I paid less than two years ago and sell the iBook on eBay?

I only ask cos I kind of get the feeling that a lot of people are trying to offload this type of model at the moment as they look to upgrade, maybe in six months time the price will get so low it won't be worth it...

I don't really want to sell, so can anyone who isn't rich and doesn't use their mac everyday help me find a way to justify having two computers?

Cheers, :confused:

OP
M

m1k

Well, I use my 12" PowerBook every day, so I guess I can't help you...

I guess I can try though. If you get the iMac G5 now, you won't have to rebuy a new computer for at least a few years. Basically, if you feel you really want the new iMac, go for it! You'll have a top-of-the-line desktop computer that will last you for at least 4 years. It's always nice to have both a laptop and a desktop, even if the laptop's a bit old. Use the laptop for traveling and the iMac for at-home stuff.

I personally think it's a great way to go. Find an original airport card, buy the new iMac, and it'll be a perfect combo. A desktop and a laptop are always good togeter.

Go for it, if you really want to!

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
If you do a lot of traveling, I would recommend getting another laptop. I'm not crazy about the idea of keeping both systems up to date and transferring documents you need between the two.

OP
B

blenford

Hmm - aside from selling it, those are pretty much the two options, and no-one can really make my mind up for me. Last year I did travel a lot, but right now I'm desk bound in London (using flippin Windows, too!). I seem to be going down the 'two or three years of good solid earning' route, rather than the 'buy a ticket and roam the globe' mindset.

On a practical note - isn't it easy to basically network the iBook and the G5 so they can see each other's HDs? Then I could move files easily...

Anyway my best friend has a Powerbook and she's horrified at the idea of me getting a desktop. Apparently it'll be mortgage, kids and car next!

OP
M

m1k

Well, I say it's good to have a desktop system and a portable system because you're obviously going to be at your desk a lot of the time, but if you even go down the street, it's nice to have a portable with you. It's also nice to have a nice desktop system. It's the best setup to have both. Seriously, I'd go for it if I were you.

Yeah, the iBook and G5 can be easily networked, since they're both Macs. Just turn on AppleTalk and you're set.

Poor best friend...

Reaction score
I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
m1k said:
Well, I say it's good to have a desktop system and a portable system because you're obviously going to be at your desk a lot of the time, but if you even go down the street, it's nice to have a portable with you. It's also nice to have a nice desktop system. It's the best setup to have both. Seriously, I'd go for it if I were you.

Yeah, the iBook and G5 can be easily networked, since they're both Macs. Just turn on AppleTalk and you're set.

Poor best friend...
Umm, he could use a laptop at his desk easily...

But its not up to me, whatever you prefer, then its all good.

OP
B

blenford

Using a 12" laptop at a desk has kind of lost its appeal after two years. My curved and aching back can attest to that. Although I freely admit that a laptop stand and a separate keyboard and mouse might solve that problem without the £1000 expense of new iMac ;)

OP
M

m1k

Yeah, but an iMac is just so much NICER! Trust me, it's much nicer to have a portable as well as a desktop. I'd say go for the iMac if you really want it :)

OP
B

blenford

I like you. You're like the little gnome on my shoulder telling me to spend my money on things i don't need but really want.

(Please excuse me, it's 4.50am over here and I've been on the night shift for about 9 hours...)

Anyway - the iMacs are touring Britain for the next few weekends so I can go play with them in store and see for myself. I'm thinking a little Christmas present for myself...

OP
M

m1k

I'm the devil on one of your shoulders telling to to get the iMac. I'm no gnome. Please excuse me, it's 11:55 over here and I'm in grade 9.

Play with them, and if you really want one, get it. It's a great idea to have a desktop and a notebook, it works great.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Plus if you get that iMac, you could keep the ibook, but chuck all the photos and excess files off it, thus making it faster and more enjoyable again...

So everything will get better!

Or, you could sell the iBook and splurge on a Powerbook...

I'm suprised that you as a journo haven't got one anyway... isn't it some sort of requirement for you creative types?

what do you write?

OP
B

blenford

I couldn't justify paying for a Powerbook back in 2002, I just didn't hqve the cash. The iBook has been great - I was reporting from the Middle East last year and it was just the right size to lug around with me without a problem.

Being a print reporter I've hardly used any processor-heavy apps, but I fancy getting a bit more creative over the next couple of years and the G3 just won't cut it.

BTW the only people I know who actually have Powerbooks work in film and tv production in London - they think they need the power but if they were bring honest they would admit all they do is ponce around Soho with them...

OP
B

blenford

Sorry, what I meant to ask was: what's the thinking in the Powerbook vs iMac debate (if there is one)?

If I was to splurge on a powerbook, would i really be buying the best, the latest etc? i know they say there are no imminent plans for a g5 laptop, but the G4 is already yesterday's processor, isn't it?

i don't plan to get caught out this time around...

OP
M

m1k

Nope, the G4 is still really good. I have a new PowerBook G4 1.33GHz and it's faster than my Pentium 4 PC. G4s are much better than Pentium 4's, whereas G5s are much, much, much better than Pentium 4's, just to give you an idea of them compared to Intel's latest processors.

I say go for the PowerBook G4. It's still fast as ****, mine runs almost any game with the graphics levels medium-high. The PowerBook G5 won't come out for a LONG time, Apple has stated and restated that. They're having problems with the heat and stuff like that. You won't be disappointed with the PowerBook, trust me :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I see, well it's nice to see professionals actually being sensible and not just buying for style & prestige - kudos to you!

"Nope, the G4 is still really good. I have a new PowerBook G4 1.33GHz and it's faster than my Pentium 4 PC. G4s are much better than Pentium 4's, whereas G5s are much, much, much better than Pentium 4's, just to give you an idea of them compared to Intel's latest processors. "

That's over-simplifing things if you ask me...

The G4 isn't much faster than the P4, nor is the G5 much much faster.

But I'm not going to be drawn into that discussion...

OP
B

blenford

Aptmunich said:
I see, well it's nice to see professionals actually being sensible and not just buying for style & prestige - kudos to you!

"Nope, the G4 is still really good. I have a new PowerBook G4 1.33GHz and it's faster than my Pentium 4 PC. G4s are much better than Pentium 4's, whereas G5s are much, much, much better than Pentium 4's, just to give you an idea of them compared to Intel's latest processors. "

That's over-simplifing things if you ask me...

The G4 isn't much faster than the P4, nor is the G5 much much faster.

But I'm not going to be drawn into that discussion...

OK then Aptmunich, how about a new question - you've got a G4 iBook 1Ghz... how is that running?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.