Connecting to your car

Reaction score
if you use your ipod in your car, How do you connect it and what do you think of it?

I would use a tape adapter but my car only takes CD's. I have tried the FM transmitters but i the quality is not as good as i want. Im thinking of getting an Aux in Port fitted to my car.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
What kind of FM transmitter were you using? I have the Griffin iTrip that plugs into the 12V socket and it works great, much better than the one that draws its power from the iPod itself.

Though of course, an Aux in port would be the best choice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
I have an iPhone and connect with an Aux port, using a 3.5mm cable. Works pretty well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I just bought a deck that controls the iPod, so I plug in my iPod, put it in the glove box and enjoy my tunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
i use a tape adapter. I was shocked to see my new car had one because i don't know anybody who still uses tapes. but i am glad that it has the tape deck. Before that i used and fm transmitter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
I use a cable that plugs into the back of the deck. It does not control the iPod, but it feeds power and receives audio. The sound is excellent since the iPod is not being the amplifier... it does not use the headphone port, but instead the USB port. The volume setting on the iPod does nothing at that point since the cable is only getting audio signal.

I got it at Pep Boys for like $60.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
In my Accord, I picked up a $50 attachment to convert a CD changer input in the factory stereo to an aux in. The cord comes out and plugs into the bottom of my phone, keeping it charged and taking the line out from it.

In my Buick, I just picked up a cigarette lighter adapter with an aux out on it (Belkin or Griffin, can't remember the brand) and have an audio cable running from that to an aftermarket stereo that has an aux in. Everything is tucked behind the console/ashtray.

So, in both cars, I simply plug it in and it plays and charges. Life is good. :)

OP
I
Reaction score
i was quoted £30 by a car stereo shop to have an AUX cable put in to my car (new seat leon). I can get a cable that plugs in to where a CD changer would go and do it myself but im not 100% confident.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.