Attaching Artwork

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook
Hello, I have an idea to have a separate image display as album art for each song on an album. How would I go about doing this?

Is there a program to embed the info, or can iTunes do it?

Also, since this is for my band, how do I get it so it will be available when people download it? And can I embed animated .gifs?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Just attach album art for each song in the album. Coverflow will show only 1 album art per album though. To add it for each song, just select it, and drag in your album artwork into the little box on the left. You will have to delete any previous artwork from there though.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook
Okay, but that will only do it for my library. I want to know how to embed the info (probably before or during the mastering process) so that anyone who buys our CD/downloads our songs will have the images, too.

And any info on embedding an animated .gif?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook
Well, I just tried adding a .gif to a song and it didn't work, so I doubt I can embed it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
If you want to embed the artwork in the music, you'll probably find Media Rage to be the easiest to use, and more certain it works. You *can* do it with iTunes, but I believe you'd have to drop multiple pictures to force it to attach them rather than "associate" one, and you'd have to do it one music file at a time in the Artwork tab under Get Info.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Why not try...

Embed artwork to each song separately within iTunes. Then drag the song from the iTunes playlist into a folder on your computer. THAT will be the file you distribute since it has the custom artwork.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^ true that. You need to drag the Mp3 file out of your iTunes library. NOT from finder, from the iTunes software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
^ true that. You need to drag the Mp3 file out of your iTunes library. NOT from finder, from the iTunes software.

Actually it depends. I've noticed that if I attach artwork to songs, the mp3 file in finder gets a custom icon of the artwork. So iTunes may be writing the artwork into the mp3 all the time.

But still, dragging from iTunes to a Finder folder is the safest way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well that's cause iTunes drops a hidden image of the artwork in the same folder as your song so when Finder or any other system displays it, it grabs that artwork. But the moment you take that mp3 file outside of it's folder, on say another machine, you will most definitely find the lack of artwork (unless previously embedded into the file).

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook
Thanks for the tips. The guy recording and mastering us said he can do it during the manufacturing process, so I think I've got it covered.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.