Need some words of advice from MB who have done surgery on their MB's

Reaction score
I discovered the other day when I tried to upgrade my OSX to 10.5 that my DVD drive doesn't work. My MB is 1.5 years old and I don't have Apple Care on it. I know it will be $325 to have it serviced and then they will only replace the drive with the factory original.

For $100 I can get an 8x DVD burner SuperDrive and put it in myself. I've reviewed a disassembly manual which shows in detail what needs to be done and to be honest, I'm a little concerned about the process. I'm not the most mechanically inclined person in the world. I have no problem taking my tower apart and swapping components, but this little guy is more complex with tiny parts and crazy clips.

So, has anyone here done such a procedure to their MB? Are there any gotcha's I should be aware of?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
I've had the drive out of mine, it's fiddly but not horrendous. Go to iFixit.com and find instructions there. Once you have the keyboard off - probably the hardest bit as there are funny clips at the front which can be tricky - it's not too bad.

One word of warning - as you remove each screw, lay them out on the table in the same position they came from, as there are loads of different ones. The four along the back of the case in particular don't all fit in each others locations.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.