Problem loading Firefox

R

RonaldCS

While browsing available updates I found that I could install Mozilla Firefox. As this is the browser I use on my PC it seemed a good idea to run the same one on my Mac.

I downloaded it without any trouble, but could not find a way to open it. All that happened was that the icon moved about and ended in the dock - at one time I had five icons bobbing about!

I have managed to uninstall it after a great deal of effort. I would still like to use it but am unwilling to try until I find out what went wrong.

Has anyone else used this programme?

OP
I

Icarus

actually I had a very similar experience with it, I think. Not sure what I did to fix it though...actualy, I use Safari...does that count as a fix?

OP
R

RonaldCS

Icarus said:
actually I had a very similar experience with it, I think. Not sure what I did to fix it though...actualy, I use Safari...does that count as a fix?

It'll do me for a fix. I looked back and forth between the screens on the two machines and decided that I like Safari better anyway (so there, as my grandson would have said!)

OP
P

Prev

Firefox for the mac is supplied as an application in a disc image format. Once downloaded, the disc image will normally mount (if not, double click it to mount it)

Now drag the application to your machine from the image disk. either to your apps folder, or anywhere you like. then you will be able to run the app just fine.

If you try to run the app from the image disk, the icon will bounce in your dock endlessly, and in my experience, the only way to stop it is to restart the machine. You cannot do a force quit, as the app continuously drops in and out of the fq window.

HTH

Prev.

OP
R

RonaldCS

Many thanks for this, Prev. At one time I had five bouncing icons!

I think I am going to stay with Safari for the moment until I have a little more experience with the Mac, but at least I now know what to do if and when I want to change.

Thanks again

Ronald

OP
V

VastDeathmaster

Originally, I downloaded Firefox from my PC at work to (faster connection) to a usb zip drive. I then took that file home and attempted to "install" it. Even though I could drag the Icon to the desktop, it wouldn't work. Finally, I removed it and went and downloaded Firefox from my eMac.

It has worked fine ever since.

I like Firefox over Safari, in part because it reacts better to CSS webpages I build. The two mac browsers, IE5.1mac and Safari, act as if they were spawned from Netscape 4.7 (trouble and nothing but) Yet when I test a webpage under Firefox, it displays fine.

Firefox all the way! :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.