PC keyboard with Mac mini

Reaction score
Just bought a new macbook pro - have wanted to switch for a long time and when old HP finally died, the time was right.

2 keyboard questions please ... can I change the function keys to default as actual function keys (not as the volume etc). My wife uses autocad under bootcamp for work and cant press the function key all the time. We have plugged in an external keyboard but if I could reverse the keys that would be ideal.

Also, I bought a mac mini for my in laws - if we are switching, so are they! I want to use their existing peripherals, but there is no command key on a PC keyboard - what key would they use instead?

Thanks for any advice.

BTW, my wife and I after using the macbook for the last few weeks are totally wrapped. We have never enjoyed using a computer so much and anyone who has any doubt over whether or not to switch should just do it. I wish I had switched years ago.

OP
M
Reaction score
... I just worked out how to change the function keys. Sometimes things are so simple under OS X you overlook them.

I really need to stop looking for the most complicated solutions now that Im a mac user.

The built in help is actually useful...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AppleIIc 6inch display.
i dont have my mac yet, but im intrigued to know the answer. how did you do it?

OP
M
Reaction score
In system preferences, under keyboard and mouse, there is a check box which says "use f1, f2 etc keys as normal function keys".

Felt like a total idiot when I saw that!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.