WMV Plugin help (Flip4Mac)

Reaction score
Hello. I have the Flip4Mac plugin - which works fine for playing WMV Movies within Quicktime. However, I run the MusicalTalk Website at www.musicaltalk.co.uk and we have a streaming player on a lot of our pages that doesn't work with Flip4Mac. It says the "movie" cannot be opened (when it's actually an m3u file) whereas I've seen it work on my friend's macbook.

A link to a page that uses the player is http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk/episodes_0066.html

If you can help me out - that'd be much appreciated.

Got my macbook yesterday - and I adore it! I like the fact the DVD player is multi-regional, too!

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Try installing Perian it's a little more versatile than flip4mac and handles most audio/video codec issues.

http://perian.org/#download

I'll try and access your site later (at work at the moment). I have it installed on my Macbook.

mrplow

OP
N
Reaction score
No luck there. It still tries to play the plugin using Flip even though I've deleted it and installed Perion.

I see what the problem is with Flip though - it says the WMV9 plug in is not installed. I tried to install it yesterday, I remember, and it froze every time when it says it was unpacking Mac HD or something.

UPDATE

I just restarted the computer and opened the website up again and it's telling me to install Windows Media etc etc to play the MIME format. So - perion is, I assume, not responding for this plugin.

(Sorry - Macs are still new to me. I certainly didn't expect this hassle!)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I know this kind of statement doesn't really help much but . . . . it works for me....

I've got the latest version of both flip4mac and perian installed as well as VLC. Using Firefox rather than safari.

Went to your main page and the player - top right started playing quite happily.

Only had a few minutes on a pretty slow connection so I didn't get chance to try Safari.

Perhaps starting over is called for. Remove flip4mac and Perian. Restart. Re-install Perian and flip4mac. Make sure both are fully updated. Restart. Retry.

I know this is all obvious stuff but I'm not sure what else to try at this stage.

mrplow

OP
N
Reaction score
The flash player on the homepage works fine - it's the player on the link I provided that I'm having trouble with - the single episode player for my podcast.

I am downloading VSC to see if that works!

I will take your steps, though and see what happens.

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just tried the direct link you supplied http://www.musicaltalk.co.uk/episodes_0066.html and it's playing quite happily.

Again I know this isn't too helpful but at least you know it 'can' work.

Clicking the arrow to the right of the play bar and choosing about says it's using flip4mac Windows Media Components 2.2.0.49 is this the same version you have?

It may be a file association issue. Select a m3u file in Finder and choose "Get info" from the File menu. Then in the "Open with" section, choose Flip4Mac

OP
N
Reaction score
Thank you. Re-installing Flip4Mac seems to have fixed the problem. Thank you for your help, mrplough; it's much appreciated.

Now - if only I could get my Nokia N95 to not say "SEND FAILED" when I try to send a file from it to my mac via bluetooth. Bluetooth is set up and "paired", but I can't seem to get them to "connect". Ugh...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you. Re-installing Flip4Mac seems to have fixed the problem. Thank you for your help, mrplough; it's much appreciated.

Now - if only I could get my Nokia N95 to not say "SEND FAILED" when I try to send a file from it to my mac via bluetooth. Bluetooth is set up and "paired", but I can't seem to get them to "connect". Ugh...

This is going to sound like a broken record but . . . I can send from my N95 to my macbook and vice-versa

Which version of firmware do you have on your N95? (i have v20)

Do you get the 'Incoming File Transfer' dialog on your mac?

Can you send files to your N95 from your mac?

OP
N
Reaction score
Yes - I downloaded version two a while ago.

Well - I have a friend who has a macbook pro and it works fine with that! I just send something from my phone to the computer and it transfers perfectly. Maybe there's something new in Leopard that is not allowing this to happen? I can send an picture from MAC to the phone but not visa versa. When I click send via bluetooth on the phone - it just says sending failed - no incoming file transfer comes up on the MAC.

:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's worth deleting the association with your phone on your mac and re-pairing them.

I have the same firmware on the N95 and Leopard (10.5.1) running so i doubt that's the issue. Through a quick Google reveals many people having Bluetooth issues under Leopard.

Might be worth posting a new thread here to get it noticed and maybe one on n95users.com they're pretty hot on all things n95 over there.

OP
N
Reaction score
It would seem in Leopard that sharing is turned off (bluetooth or otherwise) - and can only be turned on via the sharing option in the system preferences. It all works fine now!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nice find!

I already have that turned on for sharing files across network etc...

Glad you got it sorted

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.