Cheapest place to buy a MacBook Pro

Reaction score
Apple has the basic 17" config for $2800, $2600 for me being a college student. macmall.com has them for $2000 or so, with the same config. I am not looking for somewhere cheaper than that, but do you think it would be a wise choice to go with macmall ? Prices that much lower than the company that makes it makes me think twice about the legality of macmall. I fear the mbps they are selling may be refurbs or something similar. Where would you guys go buy a macbook pro if it were you ? I would like to spend less than $2600 if at all possible, although I will gladly pay that amount if need be.

Reaction score
I bought mine at an apple retail store. This is more than likely the safest way to get your new macbook. Macmall.com doesnt look to be any kind of fake retailer or shady dealer though. You should probably be safe I would think.

(I'm a college student too and have been saving my money for like 6 months just to get mine haha)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.53Ghz, 4GB ram, 500gb hd -- Apple TV 160gb -- MacMini 1.83ghz
I read on another Mac forum that someone got a nice deal from CompUSA. The store is closing and clearing all it's inventory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2GHz/2GB/CD
My cousin got his in Boston, used, excellent condition for $1000. A 17" too. It was the earlier models, still good though.

OP
D
Reaction score
im not too keen on getting a used laptop or a refurb no matter in how good of a condition it is...just a personal preference...id like to be able to blame any problem either on apple or my usage and not have to wonder what the last person did to it...

anyways...couldnt find any on compusa...deffinitely considering macmall...any other suggestions ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I got mine refurbished from MacMall for $2,200ish.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15.4 matte screen 2.2 Ghz C2D 120GB HD NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 128MB SDRAM
My dad bought a new iMac from Macmall. It was a great deal. It also came in the retail box. If it was refurbished it would have came in a plain box but. I bought my MBP from Apple as refurbished and it came in the plain box. This is how apple does things. Also Macmall would have to have some sort of disclaimer stating the item was refurbished. The iMac my dad bought said nothing of the sort.

nZa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
I read on another Mac forum that someone got a nice deal from CompUSA. The store is closing and clearing all it's inventory.

we have two compusa's in town, the the mac's are only 10% off, then whatever doesn't sell, simply gets shipped back to apple. no major discounts here. :(

OP
D
Reaction score
well, 10% off 2600 is still a good $260...which would be awesome...although i dont know if i still get my education discount from them...which would get me 10% off 2800...would be awesome if i could get one for 2400 or something...if not, then ill just end up dishing the 2600+tax for one...not like im complaining...but being a college student i wanna get the most out of my money, while still getting a 100% new, non refurb mbp...

Reaction score
you can go to the apple site - i think at the very bottom they have a link to their resellers.

Reaction score
I used to work for macmall.com / pcmall.com /ecost.com ... They're a legit shop...at one time the largest Apple reseller...but I haven't worked there in a few years so as for their market reseller share, I don't know anymore...just an FYI

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
I remember when Macmall was a major Apple reseller (maybe they still are) back before the days of the internet. They seemed to be reputable back then, but you may want to take a look at this first:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/MacMall

Amazon is offering the Pro for $2,609 after their rebate (I got my iMac through them, and just got back my $100 rebate). Free shipping, no tax. Not a bad deal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook, non-Pro, Snow Leopard
I don't know if this is only the case in Canada, but here, if you get a refurbished Mac from Apple.ca, you're actually getting a better than new Mac for the price of a PC due to the rigorous* quality control testing that is done on all refurbished Macs.

If you go with a reseller, it's not Apple doing the QC, so you may not get the same benefit.

I got mine refurbished and there wasn't so much as a fingerprint on it.

*my only question is why don't they put new Macs through the same QC?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That not true. While refurbished Macs get a pretty good once over before they're let out for resale, that doesn't make them any better than the new ones which are shipped from the factory. The new machines are likewise put thru a rigorous quality control.

As a matter of fact, if you do some searching in these forums and other Mac forums you'll find the number of "broken" refurbished units are about the same as the new ones.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.