Problem with Trash?

Reaction score
**Posted this in the wrong category! Mods sniped the last one**

Ok, so heres what happened.

My trash had some items in it, so I opened it up to see what they were..
When I did so, nothing was showing up in the trash window, however there were over 2000 items in there.
I couldn't see them though...
I left the window up for a good minute to see if it was just taking some time to load what was in there, but still nothing. Tried arranging items by name, nothing.

So I emptied it... and it ended up that there was over 15 gigs worth of stuff in there..!? Should I be worried about that? I would have remembered putting something, or lots of things, adding up to that much HD space...

Any thoughts?

<Macbook Pro 2.4, up-to-date Leopard>

M

MacHeadCase

It could have been a bunch of invisible files but what makes me cringe a little is the 15 GBs-worth. That is very strange.

Did you do a third-party software update right before this happened?

I know it is too late now (you already emptied the trash) but you could have downloaded MainMenu and asked to see the invisible files: this would have shown you what was in your trash your trash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 12" iBook G4, 14" iBook G4 running Ubuntu 7.10
You can always do a quick check of what is in your trash if you open Terminal and type

cd .Trash

ls -al

That will show you any hidden files that may be in there. The hidden file names start with a "."

Cheers

OP
M
Reaction score
I mean, the computer still seems to be running fine... no problems or anything.

Should I be safe and do a clean install??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If things are running fine with no problems at all just leave it be. Maybe run Onyx and Repair Permissions but does not sound like you need an install.

OP
M
Reaction score
Did you do a third-party software update right before this happened?

Now that I think of it...
I'm pretty sure I installed and UPDATED Photoshop CS3 Extended BEFORE I emptied the trash... but the size of everything that was in there confuses me to death.
I'm on the verge of doing a clean install. Its bothering me to no end.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 MBP Yosemite
Same thing happened to me the other day.
I downloaded a "small" file from the internet. I decided I didn't like/want it so sent it to the trash. When I emptied the trash there were ~2500 files being deleted. It took about 6 minutes to complete the task. :[
My Mac is still working ok. :eek:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.