Windows XP on MB and MBP

Reaction score
I have a Macbook Core2Duo 2gHz and 2gHz RAM, my friend has a MBP (both running Leopard), we are both considering BootCamp Windows. We have a few questions:

1) Which version do we use? XP will soon drop support, Vista ain't so hot. (I only need it for specific programs for school like Office 2007)

2) If we buy an OEM copy, is it possible for us to use the same copy and reg code? Or to use a reg-code snagged from a school PC sticker? (theoretically, of course. I know this is not legal)

3)...or should we buy a full retail version, and will it give us multiple licenses?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
BootCamp Windows is not a good option. Virtual desktop software solutions (Fusion or Parallels) are much preferable. Search this forum for legion posts on why this is so.
That being said, you haven't presented any compelling reasons why you need to run Windows. If you must use Office (doubtful), there's a Mac Office 2008. Or any number of open-source office suites. Yes, they're compatible with the Windows version of Office.

As to #2, on this forum, we don't take kindly to illegal activities, even "hypothetical" ones. It's not possible anyway, with Windows rights protections; and Windows comes with single licenses. You'll need to pony up the cash for two copies of Windows (if you even need to install them, which I doubt) and do it right.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Are you in college? Does your school have academic license to sell Windows? If that's the case, just buy your own copies. Usually versions with multiple license means one user or family in the same household can install on multiple computer, but unrelated people can't share licenses from one purchase. Also, I don't think support for XP will probably not be dropped anytime soon as many people still use it and MS will soon release a new service pack for it.

I don't see any problem with installing Windows via Bootcamp and then running a virtual machine. At least then if in the future you need to run a program that takes a lot of system resources, you can easily run it in Bootcamp instead of running more slowly in virtual machine due to having to share the system resources with OS X.

Having said all that, I would also recommend you just get Office 2008 for Mac. It's fully compatible with Office 2007, save some very minor rendering differences. I prefer it because unlike Outlook, Microsoft's sister program for OS X, Entourage, comes with a very handy project organization function that I use to organize all my coursework, class schedule, class contacts, and so on. I also prefer the OS X layout of the Office programs better than the Office 2007 ribbon style layout.

OP
E
Reaction score
Well, the problem is that I am a poor college student. And yes, as a business major I do need Windows, as a few of my classes are Office 07 specific. I'm really just looking for a way to get Windows as cheaply as possible, I only need it for a few things. Maybe I could find the 80 bucks for an OEM version, it's really not that much.

OP
E
Reaction score
I have never heard of getting $5-10 software. We have a $500 Office 2007 Pro for $99, but I'll look at the computer store. Oh and if all else fails, I found a site with OEM Windows XP Pro for $55. I don't know how or why, but it's cheap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Ok, good luck, and if you ever figure out why you can't use Office 2008, let me know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
Microsoft's licensing practices may not be as elegant as Apple's, but the fat remains that using the same license for multiple installations of their products violates their End User License Agreement and can be considered copyright infringement or software piracy, depending on your jurisdiction.

Here's what you do to do this cheaply and legally:
1. Get the 30-day trial of VMWare Fusion or Parallels.
2. Get the cheapest copy of XP Service Pack 2 that you can find. An OEM version may have some vendor-specific details slipstreamed into it, but should still work. Or if you work for a company that has a Volume Licensing Agreement with MS, approach the IT Director with your cause. A sympathetic ear may result in obtaining one of their older, non-volume licensed copies of XP that came in a box from HP or Dell.
3. If you can get Office 07 for $99, I'm very jealous. I paid much more :-/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.