Swapping a 10g HD for a 30g HD on my G3 iMAC

C

CU_AMiGA

Hello,

I have a fair number of stuff on my current 10gig HD on G3 iMAC, so much so, it is nigh on full. I have an IDE 30g HD spare, that i want to replace the 10g HD with. I am a real Mac newbie, so i need a hand in this please.

Firstly, i need to know how to install the HD (hardware wise) and then format it. Then i would like to do a straight copy of everything from the 10g HD to the new one. After i have the 30g HD up and running, i have no use for the 10g, apart from a backup. :)

Regards,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
The Maxtor will be just fine in your iMac . As for fitting it look at this link .

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8718

I did the same thing a while back (Maxtor 80GB HD ) and had a few problems . The link contains pretty much all the info you should need .

Hope this helps
Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
Sorry I don't know the answer to that one .

Maybe Badger can help you .

I copied all my stuff onto CD first and then put it on the new drive .

Hope this helps
Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66 C2D, 13" MacBook i7 2.9GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 4
CU_AMiGA said:
Cheers. How would i copy the contents of my 10g HD to the 30g HD?

You can get a dual IDE cable, and have both hard drives connected with the case open. You might need a Y cable to share the power to each drive -- I don't know, haven't opened my old iMac yet.

Once you boot the computer, both hard drives should appear on the desktop. You have to set the jumpers on each drive, your primary as Master (or MA on the label), your secondary would be Slave (or SL). Boot up to load the OS on to the new Master, and then copy everything you need from the Slave.

OP
B

Badger

When I made the disk swap on my old iMac I decided to keep the old disk as an external disk. I got an external USB/Firewire case and installed the old drive in it. I put the new drive in the iMac and booted from a system CD. After the drive was formatted and drivers updated I used the utility Clone X (Carbon Copy Cloner is another) to copy the old drive to the new one. You'll want to install the cloning program on the old drive BEFORE you remove it from the iMac. (Learned that the hard way.) I still follow the same procedure for my clients, although I created a personalized startup CD with Clone X on it to simplify things. If you want details send me a private mail.
Badger

OP
C

CU_AMiGA

IanCT said:
You can get a dual IDE cable, and have both hard drives connected with the case open. You might need a Y cable to share the power to each drive -- I don't know, haven't opened my old iMac yet.

Once you boot the computer, both hard drives should appear on the desktop. You have to set the jumpers on each drive, your primary as Master (or MA on the label), your secondary would be Slave (or SL). Boot up to load the OS on to the new Master, and then copy everything you need from the Slave.

Hi i have a plit IDE cable for that job (the one with the one socket at one end and two at the other. I don't have that Y cable to share the power for the other HD, but i think i can use the power from the ATX PSU from my Amiga Tower, correct me if i am wrong. So i would need to set the 30g HD to Master and the 10g HD to slave.

This is the bit that confuses me. - Would i just format the new HD on Mac and then just copy the files over or is there more to that? It is not as easy as Amiga! :)

If not is not a bother could someone please do a step by step guide?! :)

Regards,

OP
C

CU_AMiGA

Hi

I opened up the iMac yesterday (many thanks to that guide) in 2 minutes. The problem that i encountered is infact i don't have the right split IDE nor that Y cable to share the power. I need to know where to get these at the cheapest prices. Many thanks for help.

Regards,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.