Won't charge, MagSafe light extremely dimmed

Reaction score
Alright, I've been checking forums for the last three hours and none seem to have the problem I'm having. It started last night when my adapter freyed, melted and became useless (a common problem with the MagSafe). I called to Apple, but they just wanted to make sure nobody died and no houses burned down and then told me to go buy a new adapter. I did that today, but now my computer wont hold a charge and is stuck at 0% and shows the charged icon over the battery. The weird thing is that the light on the MagSafe head is an extremely dim green. You need to turn the lights off to really see that it is lit, but very weakly. So, I went back to the Apple store and tried the charger on a different computer and it worked fine. And we tried a completely different charger on my macbook and the same dimly lit light thing happened. So i dont think its the charger. Then we put my battery in a different macbook and it took a charge. So i dont think its the battery. Any ideas??? Is it a coincidence my 18 month old hassle-free (until now) macbook has hit the fan in the last 24 hrs?? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated...

Reaction score
The same thing just happened to me last night. My adapter didn't fray or melt though. The adapter light glows a very dim green and the battery won't charge. I tried resetting the SMC but nothing has changed. I am awaiting a reply from a local Apple Service shop. I suspect I will be taking it in and this will cost me. I will advise more in the next few days or so when I know more...

Reaction score
Dim Light

This happens when the charging drops in the amount of electricity it is supplying to the computer. This drop occurs because the charger is trying to keep the Mac at a certain temperature. I suggest you turn your computer upside down when your not using it/charging it. NEVER use your Mac on a bed or put on top of your lap. This will cause the unit to overheat, it may not damage anything the first couple of times, but wear will eventually occur. Also it can burn you. Hope this helps.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.