Any Mac II Si Users Out There? I have a problem with printing.

Reaction score
I love this old Mac and old Word 5.1. I have been using it for years and will go out and buy a new old one if this one breaks down.

But for the first time something strange happened that is preventing me from printing.

As you know, I have to open the Chooser to set up printing. I always choose Inactive for Apple Talk. I then click on my old Deskwriter icons (yes, I use old Deskwriter printers), and then click the appropriate icon in the right panel -- but not the modem.

But for the first time when I chose Inactive I got this message:

"Apple Talk is in use by 'File Sharing Extension.' Are you sure you want to make it Inactive?"

I chose OK, exited the program, but found later that the Print command wouldn't work.

What has happened, and what do I do?

I checked the Extension folder and everything is there, including the File Sharing Extension. But despite my troubleshooting -- such as chosing Active to see if that worked -- I still can't print.

I can guarantee that I have not changed any settings or have made any changes whatsoever.

So this is a mystery and, worse, I don't know how to fix it.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
You might want to search around for some Vintage Mac Users forums. Most of the users here are using current machines and just are not going to be able to help you on this one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.