How to keep Mac Email address

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS
Even though im not a newbie .I recently for the first time decided to use the mac email address.To my demise i find out that when the trial ends , the free email account ends.Is this just a clause or is there a way to keep your mac email address?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
There's only 1 way.... $100 for your email addy to end in @mac.com

or you could have it end in @gmail.com for..... FREE!

:D

OP
ibookmobile007
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS
yes i have gmail with a 6gb storage.Love my mac id though

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Argghhhh... unfortunately "[email protected]" is already taken. I was crushed! :D

Since I got a new MBP, I got the free .Mac trial, and had to select a different userid (in a fit of EXTREME creativity I selected "[email protected]" ! :D ). Sigh...

Seriously though, if "[email protected]" had been available I probably would have purchased a subscription. As it is, I will likely let my .Mac trial expire.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
You can pick up a .Mac subscription from Amazon for less than $99. Right now it's $69.

Neo

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white MB 2.16GHz 3GB 320GB 10.6.1
kfordham isn't crazy. I got my year of .Mac for $70 too. Yes, it's legitimate. Yes, it works for renewals too. No, I don't know why it's that way. I'm just glad it is.

EDIT: wasn't there an option to just buy a @mac.com address without the whole package? I can't find it right now...maybe that was discontinued.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
[email protected]

Argghhhh... unfortunately "[email protected]" is already taken. I was crushed! :D

Since I got a new MBP, I got the free .Mac trial, and had to select a different userid (in a fit of EXTREME creativity I selected "[email protected]" ! :D ). Sigh...

Seriously though, if "[email protected]" had been available I probably would have purchased a subscription. As it is, I will likely let my .Mac trial expire.

Ha ha, the plot thickens. Yesterday on a whim, I emailed "[email protected]" just to test the address. My email bounced back to me with an error of "unknown recipient". SO... "[email protected]" is not in use. BUT, when I try to sign up with this as my .Mac ID, I am told it IS in use. I have emailed .Mac support and asked if they can straighten this out and assign the ID to me. We will see what happens!

Reaction score
not sure this helps, but my wife's .mac address is still "good" even though her account expired some time ago. We use it to video iChat with my dad in another town. Somewhere in the iChat instructions I have, it said that .mac worked better, and that once you sign up for the free trial and it expires, your address is still "good" even though it no longer works for email.

Go figger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The whole thing is odd, since my Apple ID (for iTunes and the Apple on line store) is of course mac57. I guess that there is no concurrence between Apple IDs and .Mac IDs.... unless of course there is, and "mac57" is blocked for .Mac usage because it is in use as an Apple ID! This would be great, since it is my Apple ID! I am eagerly awaiting the response from .Mac support.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just got off the .Mac support chat line. "[email protected]" is an old, inactive ID, but .Mac never recycles user IDs, no longer how long they have been inactive. The original owner, even if they are no longer a .Mac member (as in this case) "owns" the ID for life. So, I guess that closes this chapter!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.