Help with Remote Login. Please???

Reaction score
Normally I am a rather Mac/Tech savvy person. However, it seems that remote login has defeated me for the moment. I have two new Intel Mac Mini's that are running Leopard and I would like to be able to Remote Login from one to the other. So far I have enabled it in the sharing preferences on both of them... and that's as far as I get. What do I do next? Do I need to download any software or can I just use commands from Terminal? I've tried "Google-ing" it but I still get lost. If anyone can either explain it to me or just tell a me a good site to go to, any help you could lend, I would appreciate SO much. Thanks!
Laurel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro, 12" iBook G4, 14" iBook G4 running Ubuntu 7.10
Depending on what you are doing with your remote login, it should be as simple as opening terminal and typing

ssh <your_username>@<the_other_computers_ipaddress> and hitting return

If your username is the same on the other computer, then all you have to type is

ssh <the_other_computers_ipaddress> and hit enter

If you are using some other program, you'll have to consult the owners el-manual for that.

Other to that you may have to open the firewall on the other computer, etc.

You may want to post exactly what is happening (any error messages, output, etc) for reference

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Just to add... if machine you want to connect to is behind a router... you'll need to do some port forward to that specific machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh yes, I never thought to add that.

And I call myself an IT Professional...shame shame on me!

OP
C
Reaction score
Awesome! I will go try that on those computers and see if I can make it work. I'll post the results tomorrow. Thanks so much!!

OP
C
Reaction score
Okay, I'm just now getting to try your suggestions and unfortunately when I typed in "sss <205.154.182.76>" (it is the same username and password on both computers) I got this message on terminal?
"-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline' "
What should I try now? Should I just give up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, I'm just now getting to try your suggestions and unfortunately when I typed in "sss <205.154.182.76>" (it is the same username and password on both computers) I got this message on terminal?
"-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline' "
What should I try now? Should I just give up?

That would be ssh not sss and you do not need the "<" ">"

For example, if I was connecting to a computer at home from outside my house, I would type

ssh 111.222.333.444

If I was connecting to that same computer from home, I could type the same thing and my connection would go out to the internet through my router and back the same way. To avoid this, i usually type

ssh the local ip address of the computer, so you would type

ssh 192.168.x.x where x is the rest of that computers ip address

I suppose I should ask, if you are connecting locally (from a computer in your house to another computer in your house) or from the internet (from someplace outside your house to a computer in your house)...if you are connecting from the internet, you will have to set up port forwarding on your router if you are using one.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.