Created network but no internet

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a d-link wireless router setup with WEP. I'm working on a few iMacs running Tiger. The internet is working fine on its own. The problem is that after I "create network" through Mac-Mac the network has no internet connection. I create a network so that printer and files on all the Macs can be shared. When ever a Mac chooses to sign onto the made network, the wireless connection gets dropped. How can I make it so that everyone is signed onto the same network and still have wireless internet? I don't want to use Internet Share either.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" white 2.16Ghz, 2Gb ram, 120gb hd
#1 change your security from wep to wpa or wpa2.... wep is pretty much useless...
#2 have you enabled file shares?

OP
G
Reaction score
yes, file sharing is enabled on all the macs since I just migrated/cloned all of them, so the settings are all the same. Don't see how changing my security from WEP to WPA would influence this problem I'm having though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
Are you going into the airport and clicking, create network? if so you are basically creating a wireless lan. When you do that, you don't have actual internet access.

OP
G
Reaction score
ohhh....thanks. That sucks for me though

So next stupid question is...how can I view what's on another Mac and still keep my internet connection? I was thinking of creating a server with external hard drive and everyone on the network will just save to this hard drive. So I need to be able to connect to this external hard drive to access work but keep internet service active. The only thing I know is to click on the airport and create a computer-computer network.

Thanks for all the help!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not too great at networking computers, but I will give it a shot.

When in the finder menu, click on Go > Network. You should see a list of computers on your network and hard drives.

Hopefully somebody with a better working knowledge of this will chime in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" CD iMac and black C2D MacBook
There are many here more tech-savvy than me who will no doubt be able to advise better, but I am able to access files between my MacBook and iMac with a live Internet connection by enabling file sharing on each (System Preferences - Sharing) then selecting Go>Network and just clicking on the name of the relevant computer. You then get prompted to log in as a registered user and after that it just works. HTH :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are many here more tech-savvy than me who will no doubt be able to advise better, but I am able to access files between my MacBook and iMac with a live Internet connection by enabling file sharing on each (System Preferences - Sharing) then selecting Go>Network and just clicking on the name of the relevant computer. You then get prompted to log in as a registered user and after that it just works. HTH :)

Good tip about turning on sharing, I didn't even think of that. This should work exactly how he wants. The only thing I'm not sure how to do is give network access to a hard drive, but I bet somebody around here does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" CD iMac and black C2D MacBook
Good tip about turning on sharing, I didn't even think of that. This should work exactly how he wants. The only thing I'm not sure how to do is give network access to a hard drive, but I bet somebody around here does.

With my set up, using Go>Network you just click on the name of the Mac you want to access and it will then allow you access to that Mac's hard drive (including external drives).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.