Advice, please...

VGP

Reaction score
I started to experience a clunkiness/stickiness/stiffness at the right side of the tracking pad on this PowerBook Pro for a couple of days now.
Went today to an authorized place near me, and they noticed a
light spot next to the pad, which made them think it's a spill.
I know I am careful with the machine and I don't drink sugary drinks next to the laptop, so I am very skeptical.

They didn't open it yet, I am waiting to hear what they see inside,
but they quoted me $250( two hundred fifty) for cleaning the eventual spill,
( if that's the cause ),
or replace the face of the book ( which is covered by the Apple ).
I am not sure what my option are, but while waiting, I am wondering:

1. How hard is it to open the case and clean the pad from the inside?

2. would that wipe off the insurance also?

Thank you for opinions.

VGP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (early 2006): 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, OSX Leopard and iPod 5th Gen 30GB
Well basically, any opening of the laptop's case in places that are not user serviceable (i.e not the battery compartment or the RAM/HDD bays) will void any warranty. Of course if you don't have warranty this shouldn't be a problem for you :)

Also, as far as I know, the case is a tough thing to open and put back together although I may leave this one to the more experienced modders and puller-aparter people xD it depends how badly you wanna save $250 really :)

Dave

OP
V

VGP

Reaction score
Well, what frustrates me is that I am not aware of any spills.
That pad is hard to press down and but it releases normally, which makes me think it's a mechanical glitch.

I didn't hear anything yet from the technician but I will really have to see the spill myself before coming up with $250 for a machine under Apple Care.

VGP

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.