flashing light for sleep on button when computer is active?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PB 1.5, 512 ram, superdrive, one sexy computer!
I am using my computer and the white sleep light will be flashing. What is happening?

M

m1k

Well, is your computer sleeping? It's normal for the light to be pulsating when the computer is asleep.

If it's pulsing while the computer's awake, well, that's not normal. Take your comp in to your local Mac dealer immediately.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I sometimes have the opposite problem--the computer goes to sleep, but the light doesn't come on.

I think putting the sleep light in on the latch button makes for a screwy connection. I wouldn't worry about it, unless there are some other symptoms, or it really annoys you.

T

TylerMoney

I don't know, that'd bug the heck outta me. That's also one of my favorite things about my powerbook; the pulsating sleep light brings life to my computer..it's amazing...if it wasn't working correctly, and would find a way to make it work correctly...it should only be on and pulsating when the computer is asleep..and no other time.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah as I had posted earlier I have a problem with my screen. So I called for a repair. Maybe its more than just the screen. I am waiting for the disk so I can try to boot from the CD and see if that corrects the line (doubtful). But when I send it in, I am going to have them look at this sleep light issue. Any ideas as to what can be causing the line and this issue? Also sometimes it doesn't come out of sleep when it is opened. Also do you think they would repair this or give me a new computer (not a refurbished one).

M

m1k

terpfan said:
yeah as I had posted earlier I have a problem with my screen. So I called for a repair. Maybe its more than just the screen. I am waiting for the disk so I can try to boot from the CD and see if that corrects the line (doubtful). But when I send it in, I am going to have them look at this sleep light issue. Any ideas as to what can be causing the line and this issue? Also sometimes it doesn't come out of sleep when it is opened. Also do you think they would repair this or give me a new computer (not a refurbished one).

Well, they probably won't give you a new comp unless your old one is really wonky and unfixeable. I doubt they'd send you a new comp. It's probably just a problem with the logic board or something, so they'll fix it and send it back to you.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
whats the logic board and how big of an issue is that? I can't believe it would have a problem after about a months use.

M

m1k

The logic board is where all the 'goodies' of your PowerBook are kept. The G4 processor, the video card, etc, etc. It sometimes fails for no reason (on any laptop, not just Macs), or sometimes there's a problem with the entire line (The iBook G4's a few revisions ago had a mass failure). Don't worry, it's probably nothing you did ;).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.