Will my G3 run 10.5 Leopard

Reaction score
I have this older G3 300MHz or 350MHz machine and would like to know if it will run Mac OSX 10.5 Leopard ? If its at all possible what part (CPU Upgrade) exactly needs to be upgraded.

Just a side note I have been able to run all versions of Mac OSX 10.1-10.4 without any issues on this older mac.

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Leopard will not run on G3 processors.

You need at least a decent G4 CPU and your machine is not upgradable to that level.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As Alexis says the answer is no. Be content with 10.4.11 which is a rock solid, fast OS. If you want to upgrade, max out the RAM if not already done so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook: 2.16 CPU/2GB RAM
yeah dude, Leopard is ok, but the one that is the best right now is Tiger its super fast no permission problems either. Max the RAM though since its a G3.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The thing that hurts older macs from running this is the new Core Animation which uses a ton of RAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
You might be able to. The older G3 iMacs that have tray loading drives have a removable processor. There was a G4 upgrade that also added a FireWire port. The only site I saw this upgrade sold out. It might be near impossible to find these days. Even if you do find it, it must be 867Mhz or faster.
You'd have to max out the RAM and use an external DVD drive to install.
It wouldn't be worth the cost or effort to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LINK

Sounds to me like alot of work but still, its worth the try.

M

MacHeadCase

The question you have to ask yourself, even if you can hack your G3 to get Leopard to install is, are you going to enjoy using it? I think that Leopard is going to either bring the G3 to its knees, it'll be so awfully slow, or it'll kernel panic itself into oblivion. And because the G3 hardware doesn't support a lot of Leopard's features, why would you want to do that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As MHC says give it a miss, use Tiger and be happy with that. It is a fast, stable, modern OS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.