Odd issues when hooking up Firewire Drive

Reaction score
I have an odd issue that has developed on my MBP using OS X 10.5.1 Leopard. It only appears to occur when I plug in my External Firewire Lacie Rugged Hard Drive. I only use that Hard Drive approximately once a week when doing a complete mirror backup of my MBP's Hard Drive using SuperDuper. As far as I can tell the issue occurs only once the Hard Drive is plugged in, not because of SuperDuper or the Backup.
Here is the issue: For some reason within a minute of plugging in my hard drive my Dock doesn't work. It scrolls when I put the mouse pointer down to the Dock but it won't open up any icons I click on. It's just like it doesn't recognize the left mouse button. Also, I am unable to select any menus at the top of the screen. I can left click on them and even right click on an icon such as Macintosh HD on the desktop and there is no response. I am able to drag Windows across my desktop though but it seems overall that my keyboard becomes inactive. For example in a open Numbers spreadsheet I am able to use the left mouse button (so it works then) to select a textbox and get the blinking cursor but yet if I type and use even the delete key there is no response. Even after I'm done with the Hard Drive if I drag the Lacie to the trash to eject it won't eject. The only way to eject it is simply pull the Firewire cable out.
I had a few issues with my system earlier and found out I had some bad memory. The memory was replaced and the problems went away. I am worried I had some corrupted files from that time but what puzzles me is I have used my laptop for weeks with no problems. It is only while I plug in this hard drive. In a worse case if I can't figure out how to fix it I feel I'll have to do a complete format and reinstall Leopard and I don't want to have to do that. This only occurs when I do the backup but can be a pain. Any ideas if I can fix this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Before you plug in the drive, open Activity Monitor to see if a process becomes "not responding". Be sure "all processes" is selected before you plug in the drive.

Reaction score
After tearing what little hair I have left out and a new logic board on my MacBook Pro 17", I stumbled upon a solution that works for me. I have multiple firewire drives I need to use for video editing.

After installing Leopard the probability of my firewire 800 drives showing upon on my desk top every morning was hit or miss at best. Of course I was daisy chaining them together since the MacBook Pro only has one firewire 800 input. I order a powered firewire 800 hub and my problems are gone. I use the the Nitro AV hub. A tad more expensive than most, but I needed a bullet proof solution. Don't know what the deal is with Leopard and firewire drives.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.