New ATI Radeon 9200 question...

S

Shakermaker

I just bought the new ATI Radeon 9200 vid card (128MB) and I haven't noticed one iota of difference other than my desktop can be larger. Games I have that ran fine with the 32MB Geforce MX card now run sluggish, even though my G4 now exceeds most games requirements...

Any thoughts on why this is?

OP
S

Shakermaker

I guess it would help if I put in some Specs:

Powermac G4 1GHZ (Digital Audio)
512MB RAM
128MB Radeon 9200

OP
M

m1k

Whoa, odd problem. Is the graphics card installed properly? Check system profiler (apple logo->about this mac->more) and see if it actually has the stats that you think it does.

Also, check in energy savings in system preferences, that the processor performance is the highest. Also make sure the hard disk isn't set to spindown.

Finally, try a restart! You often have to do this to get your Mac to recognize the new graphics card.

Good luck, I wish you well with your Radeon.

OP
S

Shakermaker

Hmmm. The card is installed okay - it does have the specs in Sys Prof showing 128 MB ram, etc...

<snip>
ATY,RV280:

Type: display
Bus: PCI
Slot: SLOT-2
VRAM (Total): 128 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x5961
Revision ID: 0x0001
ROM Revision: 113-A27502-xxx
<snip>

Also, I can't find a setting for the processor in the energy savings system prefereces in OS 10.3.5...but the setting is off for the hard drive to spin down.

I have restarted numerous times since I have had the card, but all my games still seem sluggish...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.