How to resize GIFs

Reaction score
Hi Mac-Forums demi-gods and regular folks -

Does anyone know how to resize GIFs ?

I have this GIF and want to make it smaller for a forum avatar but am clueless as to how - I have Xee, Acorn, Pixelmator, and Imagewell, and Skitch installed as well.

Can any of the above resize GIFs and keep the GIF in its format ?

I initially tried resizing the GIF with Imagewell but the image was changed to a JPEG file when I did that ...

Help !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Well, you could use ImageWell to do the resize, resulting in a resized, but JPG file. You could then open that in Xee and use its File->Save As dialog to convert it back to GIF. Rather painful, but likely a lot easier than installing GIMP and X11!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I've done a little more digging on this one. Acorn will both resize and save in GIF format, so since you have it, it may be a great tool for you. You may also wish to try the oddly named, but very powerful, ChocoFlop. ChocoFlop is a very nice image editor, free, and also supports resizing and saving in various formats. Get ChocoFlop at www.chocoflop.com.

ChocoFlop is one I have been keeping my eye on. It is already very good, and promises to continue to grow.

Acorn looks pretty good too, but it REALLY needs a Cloning tool.

Reaction score
Since x11 for leopard sucks. Gimp will not work.

Chocoflop does not work.

Online image things have a file limit size.

So what works? Have you guys actually tried to resize with the programs you recommended? Successful? Please post how you did it. Or are you just throwing what you find on google?

Is there a simple....program for Mac OS X Leopard, that will simply resize animation gifs? Imageready is not really a good suggestion, that thing costs hundreds of dollars, and I dont want to pay hundreds of dollars for a simple image resize.

Preview loads all the frames, but you cannot edit all the frames at once. You have to do it one by one, that's just pathetic.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.