Tiger to Leopard Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz 2 Gig Ram 120GB HD
I'm a mac nub. I just bought Leopard but have a few questions before I crack open the box and get down to it.

1. iLife suite. It came with my macbook will it be lost or am I able to pull it off of the dvd that came with my mac?
2. Is there anyway to take a functioning program off of my mac save it somehow and reinstall it after leopard? I have Ableton but no disks and I need it for school. Anyone able to help me out? I really wanna run Leopard but I gotta get this stuff out of the way first. Thanks so much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.16
With a Mac the operating system is kept separate from your existing files like applications and documents. While I strongly recommend backing up important stuff, you can upgrade your system without losing anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3
yeah, you can just upgrade the OS. nothing will be lost. but yes, back-up anything if you don't feel comfortable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Firstly you should be aware that a lot of people have had problems with Leopard when they do a simple upgrade install rather than a "clean" install by formatting and starting from scratch. With the 10.5.2 update pending, that may solve some of those residual issues. Then again maybe it won't.

If you do a clean install, you should be able to pull the iLife off your Tiger DVD by using a program called Pacifist to look inside the packages. Do a forum search to be sure... this has been covered before, I believe.

As for Ableton... how did you acquire it in the first place without the install discs? If you don't have proper rights to the application, then helping you with it is against forum rules.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz 2 Gig Ram 120GB HD
My ableton discs were lost during a cross country move along with my cellphone charger and my mac remote :( As for the install of Leopard I had planned on doing a clean install seeing as I've been having quite a few problems with my Mac lately eg. System Update not working. Thanks for the tips and I'll have to start looking for Pacifist to get my iLife suite.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
My ableton discs were lost during a cross country move along with my cellphone charger and my mac remote :( As for the install of Leopard I had planned on doing a clean install seeing as I've been having quite a few problems with my Mac lately eg. System Update not working. Thanks for the tips and I'll have to start looking for Pacifist to get my iLife suite.

Bummer on losing the discs. Perhaps you can call their customer service for a replacement set at no or minimal charge? Doesn't hurt to try. As for saving the existing install so it can be restored to a clean OS installation... it can be done, but you'd have to know exactly what files it installed and where... if there is more to it than the package in your Apps folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.