QuickTime Pro and Saving Flash Videos

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
How To Make QuickTime The Default Flash Player

My original post below is perhaps more simply stated as this: how do I make QuickTime my default Flash Player for Safari? I have been Googling this to no avail. Thanks!

Have I been taken in? I have always heard that with QuickTime Pro you get the ability to save off Flash-based videos. After considering it for months, I finally purchased QT Pro. I immediately went to Blimp TV to get a copy of the hilarious "Vista Sucks" video. I started it playing and right clicked, expecting a "save" type entry. No joy!

Does QT Pro *really* let you save off Flash videos or have I been taken in (or perhaps just misunderstood)?

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, it appears that as of Quicktime 7.4, Quicktime no longer supports Flash playback or capture. You might all wish to be aware of that. I upgraded (at $29.99) for specifically this capability, only to find that it has now been removed. Sigh...

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
QuickTime Pro 7.4 No Longer Plays/Captures Flash

As of Quicktime 7.4, QT Pro will no longer play or capture Flash movies. You might wish to be aware of this if you are considering upgrading to get this capability.

See this thread:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6503768&tstart=0

for details.

I originally reported this matter in this this thread but I felt it needed a separate thread to present a more informative title so that more people would be made aware of this rather significant change.

M

MacHeadCase

My guess is that probably Adobe is asking a pretty hefty licensing fee to Apple to let QuickTime be able to do that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.