iMac the right move?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2, Hac Pro
A little over a month ago I made the permanent switch to Mac. Bought myself a Black MacBook(upgraded to 4GB RAM and now it screams). I'm happy with how its working. A week or so ago the fan went in my parents PC. Replaced with an extra I had on hand. Flashforward to yesterday...The new one is going to crap out. Considering the specs I think its time for them to upgrade. This computer is comprised of spares I had laying around when their previous one kicked the bucket.

My parents aren't exactly fluent in Windows (XP). But they can manage with the basics. I'd like to push them towards a 20" iMac( 2.0) now. I like all the benefits of screen sharing and iSight/iChat. Its packaged well and looks great!

My biggest concern is the switch to OS X. In your previous encounters do new users catch on quickly? Either way we go, mac or pc, there will be an OS and Office version change. I figure now will be the best time to make the switch. If you can give any insight or advice on the situation that would be great!

I've also looked at the specs for a slim HP Pavilion and slim Dell Inspriron. Prices are comparable when equipped similarly.

Reaction score
My parents are very basic with computers too, and personally I don't think they would like a change to OS X.

Maybe try taking them to an Apple Store or a PC World and let them test drive one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
It's dead easy! All the programs are in the dock at the bottom of the screen. My parents took to it, and that's saying something!

Maybe a Mini would be cheaper though since they already have a screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
My mom learned how on a G3 iMac. She was about 60 at the time.:)
I think your parents will be fine on one. It's easy to learn and hardly any setup involved.

Reaction score
I would think it would be easier for them to learn the Mac OS because they aren't as deeply engrained in Windows habits.

I remember in boot camp (military, not mac ;D ) the best shooters (after training) ended up being the people that had never picked up a rifle before. They didnt have any bad habits to shake.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the comments guys.

They currently have a 19" CRT which takes up the entire desk, so an LCD is in order as well regardless of what we go with.

I think I'm going to make a second user account on my Mac and walk them through the basics to see what they think. I suppose I can do the same with my Vista notebook as well. Unfortunately there isn't an apple store in the area. I may take them to a Best Buy to take a look at one. I haven't really talked to them seriously about upgrading a computer yet, just trying to gather ideas, insight, and get my Ps and Qs together.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
I switched my father, who started out with a new Mac that I gave to him sometime back in the early 90s, to a PC when the Mac appeared to be going the way of the dinosaur. After some extensive cursing, he finally adapted to the PC, and had been using it for some 6 years.

I recently tried to switch him back with a new 24" iMac. He'd been complaining about the occasional system glitch, and the myriad warnings from all the anti-virus/spy/tracking software that I had loaded on his system. I was also getting tired of driving an hour one way to fix problems and keep his system in shape.

He tried the Mac for all of 2 weeks, when it became apparent he was not happy having to learn a new OS, or all of the slightly different controls and commands in the applications that he used most (word processor, web browser, email utility). Rather than listen to him continue to curse my choice, I took back the iMac, and bought him a new HP PC.

Moral of the story is to consider the age, stubbornness, and experience level of the parent that you are trying to switch over. In my case, it did not matter how much "better" the Mac was. It was not "easier" for him. He wanted the familiar layout and control, and he got it, and is now very happy.

I, on the other hand, am now the happy owner of my first Mac since '95.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
EORI has the right angle on this. It depends on whether the new switcher(s) are willing to switch. So many people are not. They like the looks of the iMacs, have heard good things about OS X vs. Windows, but when confronted with the reality of a different environment, they somehow expect to be able to keep working in the old Windows way. If they are not willing to learn a little, they would be better off with a PC.

I would approach them with the story. The Mac is better. The OS is more stable. The bundled apps are more capable. BUT, you have to be willing to invest a little time and energy in learning a slightly different way of doing things. Are you willing to do this for the benefits just described? If they say "yes" go for it. If not, they will be better served with a PC.

Remember, there is still (a little) room for PCs out there - Macs may not be right for everyone, anymore than a Ford is right for a died-in-the-wool Chevy owner.

Reaction score
i caught on very, very quickly, and i know a very, very basic computer user who got a Macbook and within a few days could navigate, etc. on it.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You guys bring up some really good points. A lot is going to come down to what they want to do. I've been looking around a lot and the 20" iMac is competitively priced.

I plan to take both of my notebooks home to show them sometime soon. Thanks for your help once again! You're a great bunch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
I've been a PC user for 20 years and finally made the switch in December. Hey, I'm an old guy (50) and couldn't be happier. I love my iMac and will never go back to Windows! They can do it and they'll love it! :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac
My father used to have a poor perception towards Mac due to the influence of his colleagues. But ever since he started using my new iMac, he began to tell me how easy it is to use and how much better it is then Windows. He even said he'd buy Macs in the future. My father isn't exactly pro in using Windows either, and now he's finding Mac OS quite a breeze, much easier than Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 500GB HDD 2GB RAM and a whole lotta love
Show them that 24" iMac screen in action and beg them NOT to fork out for it. The whole package is an absolute monster... I've been on Mac for only a couple weeks now, and I'm never going back.

Anyone can use a mac, especially if it is only for email, internet etc

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just to update this thread, I took them to Best Buy today to check out the iMac. Also showed them a Dell Inspiron with a 19" LCD. They weren't took thrilled with it. The Best Buy we went too was the first one to get an "Apple Booth". They've carried them for a while now but there is an Apple "Consultant" there. Atleast according to him. I was very unimpressed with his presentation of the iMac. I wanted him to go over stuff for them, I figured he could do it better than I could. I was very wrong. He was way too technical and just went over hardware stuff. I wish I knew who to contact within Apple to file a complaint about this gentleman.

With that aside we decided to hold off purchasing it at Best Buy. When we got home they decided they wanted to try the iMac. Talked to them about a few things, mainly the wireless keyboard and mouse. Thats the piece that affects them the most. So ultimately they decided on a base iMac with wired keyboard/mouse plus Apple Care. Got the $50 discount because my mom is an elementary school teacher. The $50 was spent on an iPod shuffle for her. :) Also picked up a Canon multifunction printer.

I figured this to be a good time since I will be on Spring Break all next week and I'll be able to sit down with each of them and walk them through the basics. and I'll be there to answer any questions they have.

Do you guys have any resources that I could or that they could use for adapting. I feel confident about teaching them how to use OS X, but its hard to find the right place to start.

Thanks so much guys! I can't wait until it comes in!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
The Missing Manual for OS X

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Awesome, I remember seeing that in the book store the other day. I'll pick it up after class tomorrow. Thanks.

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well the box containing the iMac is sitting beside me. Its killing me not to rip into it, but its their computer and I want them to set it up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" Alu | 2.0Ghz C2D | 2GB RAM | 250GB HDD | Snow Leopard
I enjoyed the switch and the new challenge of a different OS. I say go for it!

:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: IMac: ITouch
Another old guy here and my whole family has made the switch to Macs. I initially bought one for my wife after trying to set up a new notebook for her with Vista. (Made me nuts - took it back and got the Imac) She is far from computer savy and has found the transition very easy. I have been using Windows since the early 80's and used a Mac in the 90's on a project I was working on at that time. I just got a Macbook last week and was the last one to take the "plunge" so to speak. I still need to set up bootcamp as all my databases are in Access and I need them for my corporate clients. I am playing with Filemaker to see if I can use it as a replacement. If not, I will use Windows for that.

The only issues I have found with the Macs has been trying to set up printer drivers (HP mainly). I am still having some network and network printer issues, but I should be able to resolve those in time. All in all, I would recommend a Mac for the older generation. I wish we had bought one for my father in law a long time ago.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.