• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

London to Sidney under 5 hours!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white Macbook, Ipod nano 1st&3rd gen
A British team has designed a hypersonic passenger aeroplane that could one day fly passengers between Europe and Australia in less than five hours.

The A2 was designed by Oxfordshire-based Reaction Engines and would carry 300 passengers at a top speed of almost 4,000mph.

The company says the aircraft could be operating within 25 years and ticket prices would be comparable with an existing business class ticket, currently about £3,500.

read on

I think this is cool. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If Virgin Galactic ever manages to be commercially viable, we're looking at a London to Sydney flight of 45 minutes. Now THAT is impressive ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
25 years? Makes me wonder how complete the design really is. If they could bring it to market in 2 or 3 years, then I would say that they have a real design. But 25 years? They have a dream, not a design!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
4000mph huh?
impressive, but i doubt it will legally be able to maintain that speed
for example concorde was only allowed to go speed of sound in certain areas

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
There have been many designs of the years. Like going up into the upper atmosphere, then drop back down after the planet moves in to position. Or the one that over shoots the destination, slows down and turns around.

OP
James-
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white Macbook, Ipod nano 1st&3rd gen
Ok just liked the look of it i flew to Australia with waiting in airport times it took us 24 hours!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
25 years? Makes me wonder how complete the design really is. If they could bring it to market in 2 or 3 years, then I would say that they have a real design. But 25 years? They have a dream, not a design!

Exactly, this is just another pie in the sky (no pun intended) idea someone has, but will probably never actually get off the ground. They had a much more realistic and short-term plan for a sub-orbital flight from NY to Tokyo similar to this that never became a reality.

Also, the Concorde planes were 30 years old, and they still hadn't become very affordable and Airbus never tried to build newer supersonic planes. Why? Simply because it hasn't a making enough profit any more. There's just no market for it. And as telecom technology improves, it will only become less attractive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15,4" (unibody) 2.4GHz, 4GB & Cinema HD 23" & iPhone 3G 16GB

I think the same, 25 years is far too long!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.