Question about Boot Camp and my Version of XP

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just bought my new macbook pro yesterday and so far everything has been great. I want to partition my drive and run Windows XP in addition to Leopard but I'm not sure if my version of XP is correct. To run boot camp I am supposed to have Windows XP with service pack 2 and it should only be 32 bit instead of 64 bit. Is there a way to check if my XP install disk meets these requirements? If this helps, I bought XP about 5 years ago when I purchhased my old dell desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Hi everyone,

I just bought my new macbook pro yesterday and so far everything has been great. I want to partition my drive and run Windows XP in addition to Leopard but I'm not sure if my version of XP is correct. To run boot camp I am supposed to have Windows XP with service pack 2 and it should only be 32 bit instead of 64 bit. Is there a way to check if my XP install disk meets these requirements? If this helps, I bought XP about 5 years ago when I purchhased my old dell desktop.

The disk you have WILL be 32bit XP but it's unlikely to have SP2 included. If it has they generally say so on the disk.

Creating an XP disk with SP2 included is pretty straightforward, though you will need access to a windows PC to do it. The process is called slipstreaming and involves copying the contents of your xp disk to a folder on your PC, downloading SP2 from Microsoft and running a tool included with SP2 to 'blend' the two together. You then burn the folder back to a disc and then you have an XP slipstreamed disc.

There's a good guide here:
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

Let me know if you have any problems
mrplow

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.