that 'other' space

Reaction score
okok i realise the 'other' space has been covered a thousand times BUT

i recently bought a brand new 2nd gen ipod shuffle 1gig and ive been having an issue where it thinks it's corrupt every time i attach it to it's dock now i seem to have solved that problem and all of a sudden 676.9 mb is taken up by 'other' space and this doesnt dissappear when i restore the ipod either

apart from restoring it (via itunes) is there anything else i can run on it to reformat it completly

megs

Reaction score
Well,
I'm glad you said this, my 2nd gen shuffle is doing almost the SAME THING.
I think I lucked out though because it says it's corrupt every time but it doesn't seem to be taking up memory like yours is.

I guess just restore it completely (you will lose everything), and maybe check to see if you have any space reserved for disk use.
To restore, click on your iPod in iTunes and click on the "settings" tab, then hit restore.
Don't know why yours (or mine) keeps saying it's corrupt...but i just ignore it because i do NOT want to put all those songs back on there, it's a real drag since i have mine in a specific order.
Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz, 4GB 1067 MHz running Snow Leopard
Most likely if it actually is corrupt, that "other" (orange space) are the music files on there it doesn't recognize correctly. I had this happen when i synced my iTouch and only synced halfway through a movie. The files are there but they aren't recognized by the ipod or iTunes.

It should just be a blip in the syncing process that is confusing itunes. have you tried fully restoring it? That should solve the problem, minus some time and effort.

If you can play all of your music when you aren't attached to the computer, then that's another story.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.