Sleep function...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.16ghz Core2Duo, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb WD Scorpio HDD, Westinghouse 22" external display
Hi!

I have a few questions regarding the sleep mode...

1 - If I put my Macbook in sleep mode, can I carry it around without damaging any part, such as the hard-drive? Does the hard-drive turn off, or it is still on?

2 - Is is safe to put the notebook to sleep overnight? Or should I just turn it off completely for such a "long" period?

Thanks! ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" white 2.16Ghz, 2Gb ram, 120gb hd
it's completely safe to put your Macbook in sleep mode and carry it around providing you are not carrying around unprotected... (ie not in a napsack or protective case)

Many people leave their pc's on all the time whether it be for days, weeks, or even months before restarting their machines. Some don't even shut down, they just restart whenever they notice it gets slow... All in all, it depends on you... But it won't damage your Macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
it's completely safe to put your Macbook in sleep mode and carry it around providing you are not carrying around unprotected... (ie not in a napsack or protective case)

Many people leave their pc's on all the time whether it be for days, weeks, or even months before restarting their machines. Some don't even shut down, they just restart whenever they notice it gets slow... All in all, it depends on you... But it won't damage your Macbook
Hit the nail on the head.

OP
darkmcs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook - 2.16ghz Core2Duo, 4Gb Ram, 320Gb WD Scorpio HDD, Westinghouse 22" external display
Thanks!!

So, it would be safe to put my notebook into sleep mode, put it in my "InCase" notebook bag and take it from home to school in my car?? Then, between classes, just put close the lid, and carry it around...?? The HDD wil shut down and won't damage its heads...??

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Thanks!!

So, it would be safe to put my notebook into sleep mode, put it in my "InCase" notebook bag and take it from home to school in my car?? Then, between classes, just put close the lid, and carry it around...??
That's what I do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
It's also what I do. Plus, not only is it simply hanging by my side in my bag, it's also experiencing bumps in the road as I'm driving and when I'm on the bus. I've been doing this for well over a year with no ill effects. So you see, it's perfectly fine ;P

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.