(Light topic) My routine for cleaning my Apple bluetooth wireless keyboard!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook (refurb), 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB Memory, 60GB HDD
I love the feel of my Apple keyboard. I absolutely hate typing on non-smooth keys. Now this is sad, but I love the feel so much that I've replaced my keyboard twice since my first one, just so that I can get the new feel back again. :Oops:

Since the keyboards are so bloody expensive, I've been trying to think of ways to keep them clean for longer. Sad, I know. You probably don't believe me but I do have a life.... working at a keyboard cleaning shop. Just joking - about the keyboa
rd shop, not the other bit - hey!

Anyhows, here it is - nothing special but I've found it works.

1. Wash your hands (cannot emphasise this part enough - if you're as mad as me, you should wash your hands each time before you use your keyboard!)
  2. Turn off your keyboard (if its a macbook, use keyboard cleaner app).
  3. Get a lint free cloth (read: any microfibre cloth will do) and get it slightly damp. DO NOT OVERSATURATE IT - obviously.
  4. Starting at the bottom row of your keyboard i.e. the fn key, start cleaning each key. Work your way through each and EVERY key. Now when I say clean, I mean clean clean, not just brush it over the key. Scrub boy/girl, scrub! (not too hard though - remember, we love the thing. Treat it that way.)
  5. Now get a lump of blue tack (mentioned in another post), flatten it into a key-square-ish shape and start tackling the dust, again for every key.
  6. Now there's normally a lot of dirt located in the gaps between the keys. So thin your bluetack so that you can horiztontally run it between the rows.
  7. Wash your hands again.
  8. Put talcon powder on your hands.

And you're done! You can now go to sleep content knowing that your precious keyboard is as beautiful as can be..... bliss. ;D

p.s. I still haven't worked out/found out how to get that 'new' feel of the keyboard back - its some kind of special layer that every new keyboard possesses, only to get worn down as you use the keyboard. So if anybody knows what Apple puts on it, please, please let me know. Also, the smell - I'd love to get that new smell back again. Although I'm pretty sure its directly related to that 'new' layer I mentioned previously. OK thanks for reading!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13"
Man, thats a crazy post for 2:30AM!

I guess you like a clean keyboard then? :D

I've now got visions of people putting blu-tak on their keys, pulling at it and yanking each key off one-by-one. ;D

Reaction score
I would just use rubber gloves, a full body suit and keep it in a sterile environment ;) Blutak is there nothing it can't do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac
Is it possible to remove the keys to clean the underneath of the keys?

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook (refurb), 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB Memory, 60GB HDD
Not that I know using the macbook. But i'd imagine that a can of aid would do that job fairly well. I'm still waiting for mine to be delivered..... *rubs hands with glee*

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.