10.3 Install: back to 10.2 possible?

M

Maxwell Murder

Basically, I am going to upgrade to Panther soon but it all hinges, in my mind as to how easy it is to revert back to 10.2 if some of my most used programs don't work properly. It's not worth the hassle if they don't work as I use my Mac a lot, every day.

When I got my eMac, it came pre-installed with 10.2. I don't recall having any OS boot CDs and I certainly can't find them as they would've been stored with the rest of my computer-related documentations (manuals, licenses etc).

I was wondering if anyone knew how easy it was to go back to runnning 10.2 (should I not like and my programs not get on with) 10.3, and if so, is it possible without a disk, or is there a way of making my own 10.2 boot disk?

I am fully aware that Tiger will be released soon but I don't want to bother with 10.4 if my programs don't work with 10.3! :D

Any help would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I do not know of any way to revert backwards but I have heard of no programs that don't work in Panther that work in Jag

OP
M

Maxwell Murder

Right. OK. Seeing as I've never upgraded my OS on either PC or Mac, what sort of things should I back up? i've got a DVD burner and loads of DVDs so none of that is a problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just back up any files that you will definitely need to access in their current state should something go wrong (Quicken files, Word docs, Excel docs, e-mails)

I highly suggest backing up all files and choosing the clean install option when installing Panther.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Maxwell Murder said:
When I got my eMac, it came pre-installed with 10.2. I don't recall having any OS boot CDs and I certainly can't find them as they would've been stored with the rest of my computer-related documentations (manuals, licenses etc).

Did you buy the eMac new? If so, it definitely came with software disks, which you can use to reinstall your current OS if you choose to.

OP
M

Maxwell Murder

Padawan said:
Did you buy the eMac new? If so, it definitely came with software disks, which you can use to reinstall your current OS if you choose to.

I definitely didn't have OS discs. The only ones I got were ones with my scanner and printer, and a World Book one with my eMac. They're all stored with the documentation in my filing cabinet still in their original polythene bags etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you bought it from apple you should hav a gray CD that says something along the lines of

eMac G4
Software Install and Restore

Then in smaller letters (this is what mine says anyways) Max OS X 12.2.3, Mac OS 9 version 9.2.2 etc

OP
M

Maxwell Murder

trpnmonkey41 said:
Just back up any files that you will definitely need to access in their current state should something go wrong (Quicken files, Word docs, Excel docs, e-mails)

I highly suggest backing up all files and choosing the clean install option when installing Panther.

What about prorams? Do I need to back them up like Photoshop, Illustrator Flash etc or do they just stay as they are?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
Maxwell Murder said:
I definitely didn't have OS discs. The only ones I got were ones with my scanner and printer, and a World Book one with my eMac. They're all stored with the documentation in my filing cabinet still in their original polythene bags etc.

I'm not trying to be argumentative at all, but again, did you purchase the eMac new? Every Mac comes with software restore disks, including OS installation disks. Now if you bought it second-hand from someone, then there's obviously the very real possibility that he/she didn't provide you with all of the disks that the machine originally came with.

OP
M

Maxwell Murder

Padawan said:
I'm not trying to be argumentative at all, but again, did you purchase the eMac new? Every Mac comes with software restore disks, including OS installation disks. Now if you bought it second-hand from someone, then there's obviously the very real possibility that he/she didn't provide you with all of the disks that the machine originally came with.

Yeah, sorry I apologise. I did get it brand new and I now recognise the disc that I need. Just can't seem to find it anywhere in the house. All I can find is the Hardware test CD. Grrrrr.

Bah, I'm just gonna jump in feet first and see what happens. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maxwell Murder said:
Yeah, sorry I apologise. I did get it brand new and I now recognise the disc that I need. Just can't seem to find it anywhere in the house. All I can find is the Hardware test CD. Grrrrr.

Bah, I'm just gonna jump in feet first and see what happens. :D

LOL - Sometimes that's the best way to do it. I held-off from installing Panther on my Beige G3 AIO because I was a bit scared of the installation process (since a third-party application called XPostFacto is required to install Panther on the Beige G3's), but after I was finished, I was sorry that I didn't do it sooner. As trpnmonkey41 stated, there aren't many applications that work in Jaguar but don't work in Panther, so you shouldn't have any problems.

As for your other question about backing-up programs, a clean installation will be just that - a completely clean installation of the OS, so any applications that were previously on the disk (as well as any information, saved files, etc.) will be lost. You should back-up any files you'll need, and make sure you can locate all of the application disks for reinstallation before you do the clean install.

OP
C

chapytoutou

Apps running smoot

If you want to run Apps like PhotoShop and the likes on a upgraded OS they will need to be compatible with that OS. If your Apps where OSX then I dont see any problems running them on a newer OS.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.