Looking for a new Digtial Camera, help?

Reaction score
So i'm fairly new to photography, I taken basic classes like 3 years back but it was using the regular manual cameras. I'm not looking for something high end or really expensive but I'm looking for a Digital SLR that I can control f-stop and apature settings. Nothing too fancy, just want to be able to blur the back or focus on what I want instead of the point and shoot cameras. I was hoping someone here might know if some camera that may be a good choice, probably around the $500 range

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I just bought the Canon XTi / 400D from Sam's club for $646 new.. It is AWESOME.. I am really enjoying all it's features. I would highly recommend it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
A Nikon d40 or Canon XT, with the kit lens, will probably run you about that much. Then you can pick up the 50mm f1/.8 for either. Canon's is $80 and Nikon's is $130 iirc.

You can look into the lenses for each, but unless you get bit by the bug or want pro quality, it probably won't matter what system you go with. You can get normal lenses for well under $500, just when you start getting to the pro quality lenses is when you're going to be paying $600-$5000 for a lens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
I have experience with both the Canon XT and XTi models. They are excellent choices for someone getting into DSLRs. In addition to the 50mm f/1.8 lens, the 18-55IS (IS stands for "Image Stabilization"; this is NOT the same as the cheaper, less impressive 18-55 kit lens) kit lens is not bad for a starter kit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz, 4GB memory, 160GB hard drive, Leopard, 20" Widescreen Samsung Display
I bought the Canon XTi/400D to get back into photography and its a great camera. Just need to add a few things more....

Reaction score
A nikon D40 is about 499 here in Colorado. Maybe cheaper brand new online. A Nikon D40 reproduces skin and vibrant colors a little bit more than the XTI. If you want professional results you might as well save 2000 and buy a Canon or Nikon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
I know everybody is going to say either Canon or Nikon, but i will advice you to buy a Pentax, either a K100d or a K10d, they will give you great results at a lower price and include vibration reduction in the body, no special lenses. Plus, you can get a good 50mm from KEH.com for a very good price.

Reaction score
mraya: I have a Pentax K100d and I am mostly into candid and portrait photos friends and family. I've taken some great pics, but have trouble with the lighting. Pictures come out yellow. What are the best lenses for the Pentax K100d?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.