Brother MFC work with Leopard?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Powerbook G4, iPhone
I have a Brother Multi-function (MFC-6800) from about 2002 that I wanted to use as a scanner with my Powerbook running Leopard. It recognizes the printer aspect of it when I plug it into USB, but I cannot figure out how to get it to recognize the scanner. The Drivers/install disk is "Classic" and thus will not open in 10.5.

I did a forum seach here and then tried VueScan, but that didn't seem to find the scanner either.

Anybody got any advice? In the event I am up-the-creek, any recommedations on a good affordable scanner? (photo and document)

Thanks, Arne

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did you try to open the Image Capture application in the applications folder?

Edit: Vuescan does not support any Brother scanners. Just checked.

I found this driver. See if it will work. All I can find so far.

http://www.scanner-drivers.com/drivers/151/151472.htm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
Brother has an updated driver and utility software package that's OS 10.5 compatible:

http://welcome.solutions.brother.co...mfc6800_us&type2=-1&os=81&flang=English&dlid=

I would suggest installing this first. I just installed an updated Brother MFC driver/utility package on my father's computer yesterday, and did not need to install any third-party scanner software (his MFC originally came with one). If this new package is anything like that, you shoud be fine with just this.

OP
savagehenry
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Powerbook G4, iPhone
Thanks much for the info, I was able to get it working pretty well.

It is really nice to have a resource like this where problems can be solved with a little friendly advice. Your assistance actually had a fairly positive impact on my day. ~I was ready to get my pickaxe back out the way my day was going....

Thanks again !!!!

Arne

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
Glad it all worked out well for you Arne. :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.