Take notes without typing in word?

Reaction score
One of my classmates was saying how he uses his macbook to take notes in class by recording the teacher and it translates it to words. How do I do this? I can't find anything in word that seems to have anything to do with this!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
He must have some pretty advances voice recognition software that manages to edit out all the background voice in the class.

Have you seen him put a wireless microphone near the teacher or is he just pulling your leg

There is voice recognition software that will turn sound in to words but it usually requires the speaker to be close to the mic and without too much background noise

That is as far as I know

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" Matte 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Wow.

I wish I could do that, but whenever I use my MBP to record the lecture, it's way too fuzzy.

Are you sure he said he can do it, as opposed to he wants to do it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
is he just recording it then later translating it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
Even if it worked, it seems like a fairly inefficient way to learn something. At some point you need to synthesize the information. You can have complete transcripts and complete books covering the material, but unless you're incorporating it into your own self, it's just a bunch of words and symbols.

Actively listen to what the teacher has to say, ask questions, and if you still don't get it, ask more questions later. Take the notes that will help you remember things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
There's no way this will be automatically translated. He is surely manually transcribing it. For voice recognition the person has to speak in very distinct words that the software can understand, and it also has to go through some training procedure before doing that.

Anyway, the new speech recognition app for the Mac, Macspeech is going to take care of that. It uses the dragon engine which is popular on windows and is supposed to be much better than iListen, the previous Mac app. Arrives late feb/march.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies, He said he sits in the front of the class and it types for him, I didn't really believe him but thought it would be nice to just set up my macbook and let it record the notes while I listen and also give me all teh info to study later.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Via Voice will do what he is telling you. My wife has a copy. She speaks into a usb mic and types whatever she says.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.