superdrive problems

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a problem with my superdrive. Bought an iMac g5 brand new two years ago, had to change the superdrive exactly a year ago, got a new superdrive that is again failing. Burns an audio CD when ever it pleases, got most of the time 'medium error, the peripherial power calibration area error (0x8002006D) or (burn failed - write error) (0x8002006E).
My old DVDs don't play, ejected.
My burned CDs show empty on the screen.

CDs and DVDs done by music and movie industry work just fine.

Now, I am being told by Apple tech support that it happens! and that the superdrive is slowly dying. Are the superdrive designed to last a few months?

Is there anything wrong with the computer itself?

Please, help appreciated.:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sure looks like it is on the way out. Would the replacement be under the 12 month warranty or, I bet, just out of it?

Prefer to install Pioneer products and the 115D 20X DL burner is just great, and cheap as chips too just $39 here in Australia. Have you tried using your burn discs in another Mac? Maybe it is your burning program or media?

Use Toast 8.0.3 and Verbatim discs and never had a failure, touch wood!

M

MacHeadCase

*Moved thread to appropriate forum - Question is hardware related and has nothing to do with OS 9 or Classic environment*

OP
M
Reaction score
Sure looks like it is on the way out. Would the replacement be under the 12 month warranty or, I bet, just out of it?

Prefer to install Pioneer products and the 115D 20X DL burner is just great, and cheap as chips too just $39 here in Australia. Have you tried using your burn discs in another Mac? Maybe it is your burning program or media?

Use Toast 8.0.3 and Verbatim discs and never had a failure, touch wood!

What's wrong with iTunes? Can I download the Toast burning program from the net? İs the Pioneer or the burner you mentioned external or internal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Toast is a software program from Roxio and may be available as a purchase from their web site.

Pioneer mentioned is internal.

OP
M
Reaction score
Okay, still waiting a replacement for the superdrive (has been three weeks now) and my warranty ends in about ten days. Tried to burn a DVD last night on iDVD, but "error in the multplex" kept coming (this message is very new). Could it be as you mentioned earlier the burning program? BTW, used Verbatim DVD. BTW, burned a CD audio on Verbatim and work wonders. Used the DVD verbatim that didn't work to burn a iDVD to back up files and worked wonders. Now why the heck does the iDVD burner doesn't work? In a year, I have used the Superdrive at the very most five hours.

Thanks

OP
M
Reaction score
Other question, if the Super drive can't read CDs no more, in case of a general crash, what do I do?

İf anybody has any idea, please come forward

Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.