Mac Pro Quad Core to 8 Core Upgrade Decision

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have the opportunity to upgrade my 3.0 ghz quad core mac (late 2006 model) to an 3.0ghz 8-core (last years' model, has 16gb RAM max and not the one currently in the mac store) Both have 10gb of previous generation RAM - 677 as opposed to 800MHz.

I use the computer as a multimedia centre for downloading content, hosting shared files for a macbook and a pc, outputting video to 42" tv and as as a hobby I produce music and video using studio and final cut pro.

I was wondering if the upgrade is really worthwhile - It will cost me about £500 - $1000.

I have heard that the 8 core is not that much better if you have enoguh RAM, and that there are some new processors coming out later 2008 / early 2009 that will have a substantial edge over the current gen 8 core (bearing this in mind when considering that the one I have been offered is not the current generation one)

I know that there is always something better out there - is it worth holding onto the money for a year or so beforwe upgrading? Will a 3.0ghz quad core loose much more value?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated,

Thanks,

James

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
The only time you will see a boost in performance is when you're video editing. If it is only a hobby, it's up to you. If you're willing to drop the extra cash, do it. If I was in your position, I'd stay with what you got.
Macs hold their resale value well. I would say the Pro holds its value more than most.
As for the next processor... The Penryn came out a month ago, which is why the Pro was updated. A lot of people expected a 50% speed jump with the Penryn. I can't speculate.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply

What you are saying is that outside of final cut pro it won't make a difference? - Will 8 cores not allow me to mutitask more efficiently or have logic work more smoothly?

Most tests that we see publish do nont tend to have decent RAM setups - does having 10 gbs RAM help aleviate any of the bandwidth issues that have been refered to with the 8 cores?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Sorry, I should have the most noticeable difference will be seen in Final Cut. Not all apps can make use of all 8 cores. I don't know what Logic is to say if you'll see a benefit.
Bandwidth issues? I don't know any issues. Explain....
When you work, do you come close to running out of RAM?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
My opinion. If you want to have that very small edge on the current model you have then spend the money. To be honest I would hold onto the money. Can I reccomend buying more ram or hard disk space instead of upgrading to the next model.

just my little say

cheers
chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.