iTunes update creates problems

Reaction score
After playing music via itunes all day, then updating my ipod, the blessed program decided to crash and come back with maybe 1/5 of all my songs and deleted my playlists. This is probably the 3rd time such a thing has happened with itunes. I figured an update was in order and plugged into the internet to do just that. Since the mac is never connected, quite a few programs came up needing updates. I agreed and let it do it's thing. After all was done I rebooted only to get no further than the grey apple plus the spinning wheel screen. No keys responded, the disc drive wouldn't open, nothing. Had to unplug to turn off. Tried rebooting 3 or so more times, left it on for a few hours hoping it would fix itself. Still nothing. There is currently nothing but music and a few pictures on the hard drive. No video or much else saved. Please help. I didn't switch to mac for any other reason than to avoid pc type problems, like freezing and viruses, and here I am with a bigger problem at hand. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Hey tks72, I hope you don't mind if I ask some related questions:

I'm also a fairly new mac user and updates have caused crashing and slowness on my machine too. My machine ran best before I updated anything. So, when the update window pops up and says I need to update, that info is coming directly from Apple, right? Would my machine ever be telling me that an update is ready and then download something harmful?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
tks72-
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

Would my machine ever be telling me that an update is ready and then download something harmful?
Yes and no. Using Software Update is safe. It comes from Apple itself. If you go to System Preferences-Software Update, you can select options for when to update.
As a general "rule", you should use Disk Utility after an update and repair permissions. (Applications/Utilities) Also, do "Verify Disk" to look for any other problems.
I would recommend getting an application called onyX. It can help in cleaning up your Mac. (caches, etc..)
http://www.titanium.free.fr/index_us.html
Select the one for your OS....

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the article. I will see what works but have no ability to open the disc drive or get the keyboard to respond in any way...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
I'm really starting to wonder if Apple has hired a bunch of Microsoft layoff employees. Seriously, over the past year or so Apple's updates are as buggy as Microsoft's updates. OSX and Apple apps used to be bulletproof, but now with every release seems they are more and more buggy. This iTunes deleting library problem is widespread, and apparently Apple is pretending to not know anything about it. Sounds just like Microsoft. They need a major shakeup at headquarters to turn their quality control around to where it was a few years ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
tks72-
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25392
Do you have an Install cd? Try booting from it holding "c" during startup. If so, you can access Disk Utility from there.

I'm really starting to wonder if Apple has hired a bunch of Microsoft layoff employees. Seriously, over the past year or so Apple's updates are as buggy as Microsoft's updates. OSX and Apple apps used to be bulletproof, but now with every release seems they are more and more buggy.
I hate to say it, but I'm starting to agree...:eek::Blushing:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.