Cut & paste

Reaction score
Im new to mac

On windows I used to click cut from my memory card on my camera and past it in to a folder on my computer. this removed the original files and moved them over.

Im having trouble doing the same thing on my mac. there is no cut button on the right click menu and cmd+X does not seem to work. also when I just drag them over it still leaves the original files.

I was also trying to copy pictures straight from my camera to a USB hard drive and twice I got a box come up saying I had to turn my mac off by holding down the power button. i was locked out from doing anything els so i had to do this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Finder does not support file cutting and pasting directly. Happily however, there is a $5.00 shareware piece called FileCutter that adds file level cut/paste to Finder's context menu. Get FileCutter at:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/29931

I have used it for about a year now and it works well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
OP
I
Reaction score
I just installed that but i dont see a cut option, do i have to restart my computer first?

The cmd+x key did not work and when i go to edit on the menu bar the cut option is grayed out
would that mean that this cut method would not work either?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz MacBook (4Gb RAM) + Dual 3.2 Xeon MacPro (16Gb RAM) + iPod Touch 32Gb
I'm new to Mac's too, but to "move" files I have been holding down the cmd button while dragging them to the new location.

This moves them (windows speak=cut and paste) rather than creates a copy.

Is this what you mean? (works to and from my USB memory stick)

Horness

OP
I
Reaction score
oh that sounds good, i never knew about that. Next time i moves things i will try it thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm new to Mac's too, but to "move" files I have been holding down the cmd button while dragging them to the new location.

This moves them (windows speak=cut and paste) rather than creates a copy.

Is this what you mean? (works to and from my USB memory stick)

Horness

Yes, but the problem the average Windows user has with this is that you have to have two Finder windows open, one for the source and one for the destination. It is nice to do it all in just one window, particularly if you are moving a file (cutting and pasting) to a folder that is above it in the hierarchy.

If you are moving it to one that is below it, you can just use the Spring Loaded Folders feature to move as far down as you like, all in one window. However, to move up, there is no simple way, short of cut-n-paste or having two windows open.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another alternative of course is to use a dual pane file manager instead of Finder. Two of my favorites are:

1/ Forklift, available at http://www.binarynights.com

2/ Disk Order, available at http://www.likemac.ru/english

Both of these are dual pane file managers which also allow one of the panes to be pointed to an FTP site, making them excellent FTP clients as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
However, to move up, there is no simple way, short of cut-n-paste or having two windows open.

Sure there is. Just use List view. Click the disclosure triangles ( ▶ ) to show the folder hierarchies you need, and then just drag the file(s) around. It's worked like this since System 7.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree that what you say works technologist. I also agree with what I said ... there is no simple way. I don't generally use list view, and so changing views, doing the move, and changing back, is not simple. This is one case where I believe that the Windows model (cut and paste) is superior to the Mac model. That is why I went out and got FileCutter. Now I have the best of both worlds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacBook Air 16GB 1TB SSD
THis seems like such a basic thing, to be able to MOVE a file. I cannot understand why there isn't a cut and paste.

It is the the first oddball thing I have run into with my month old Mac.

Monty
(somewhat of a noob)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you hold down the Command Key while dragging, it will delete the file from the source drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
THis seems like such a basic thing, to be able to MOVE a file. I cannot understand why there isn't a cut and paste.

It is the the first oddball thing I have run into with my month old Mac.

Monty
(somewhat of a noob)

We hear a lot of this from switchers and it is understandable. Just keep an open mind and remember there is no "wrong", there is just "different". Enjoy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I suspect I'll get used to it. My no means will it send me back to my Win 7 computer. Which, by the way, has been very neglected

We hear a lot of this from switchers and it is understandable. Just keep an open mind and remember there is no "wrong", there is just "different". Enjoy!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Yes, but the problem the average Windows user has with this is that you have to have two Finder windows open, one for the source and one for the destination. It is nice to do it all in just one window, particularly if you are moving a file (cutting and pasting) to a folder that is above it in the hierarchy.

If you are moving it to one that is below it, you can just use the Spring Loaded Folders feature to move as far down as you like, all in one window. However, to move up, there is no simple way, short of cut-n-paste or having two windows open.

I don't see the problem here using spring loaded folders. Whether moving up or down in the hierarchy as the mouse reaches the top or bottom of the finder list the list scrolls.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
THis helped me understand spring loaded folders

I've got a lot to learn :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.