New Mac user with a few issues.....

Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance but being new to MAC (1 week of ownership) and an old dog of the windows OS, I am running into a few scenarios that I don't seem to have an answer for.

The first issue is to do with key sequence. In windows, In photoshop, I was able to tab from box to box with the tab key, with the MAC the cursor only just between 2 or three boxes; in order to access the other options I have to click then, this showing me right done.

e.g. canvas resize option.
windows tab --> canvas size window -->tab goes from width to inches to height to inches to extension color
MAC --> jumps between width and height, I have to use the mouse in order to access the other options
(slows me right down).

second issue:
the computer keeps turning it self back on.
I noticed this after I added an external HDD to the system.
I use ctrl+****+eject to turn the screen off

Any help in the matter would be greatly appreciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
That is a PhotoShop issue, not Mac in general. I don't think there is a way around it.

When you say it turns itself back on... is it shutdown, or the screen is just off?

OP
V
Reaction score
hi Giulio, thanks for the quick response.

just the screen off, using the described above key sequence, 30 seconds later the screen comes back on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
Yeah that will happen to mine a few times overnight. Its most likely the external HDD doing it. Unplug it for a while and see if the problem still happens. (I set my screen to go off after 1 minute idle time)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
You'll find that the shortcut keys can differ as between a PC and a Mac. Here's a link to a list of keyboard shortcuts for Photoshop for both Mac and PC.

Re: your second problem, why not just power down the Mac rather than putting it into sleep mode?

OP
V
Reaction score
You'll find that the shortcut keys can differ as between a PC and a Mac. Here's a link to a list of keyboard shortcuts for Photoshop for both Mac and PC.

Re: your second problem, why not just power down the Mac rather than putting it into sleep mode?

didn't get the link....

thanks for all the replies, greatly appreciated. I try not power it down because I use it all the time. I guess at night I will need to power down. The issue is being cause by the external HDD, if I power off the unit , the mac won't come back on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.