Apple TV in Canada, no movies

Reaction score
Very frustrating for Apple TV owners in Canada. We pay the same price or often higher for our products, but we don't get the same services. Look at the update information on the Canada store and in the US Store. Wow, with the upgrade in Canada I can purchase music videos. Isn't that great, NOT. I assume that this is not an Apple issue but the studios or our backward Canadian content laws or some other idiotic reason. I am sure that Apple would love to be able to offer movies and TV to us too.

US Store
Apple will soon release a free software upgrade for all Apple TV owners that will deliver a new user interface and enable a variety of new features:

Movie rentals, both HD- and DVD-quality
TV show, music, and music video purchases
Photos from Flickr and .Mac web galleries
Direct access to over 125,000 podcasts
How to get the software upgrade

Canada Store
Soon, Apple will release a free software upgrade for all Apple TV owners that delivers a new user interface and enables a variety of new Apple TV features:

* Purchase music and music videos direct from Apple TV
* View photos from Flickr and your .Mac Web Gallery
* Get direct access to over 125,000 podcasts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.53Ghz, 4GB ram, 500gb hd -- Apple TV 160gb -- MacMini 1.83ghz
Can't you create a US account and use it from Canada? Maybe you'll have to get a US credit card, but with a US account you'd get all the great stuff (TV Shows, movies, and rental!).

If you live near the US border, you could also buy some Apple gift cards from Best Buy or any other stores and use them with a US account.

Reaction score
no sh....

CRTC / broadcast laws in Canada are increasingly showing their age and limits. You can get HBO in the dead of Africa, while we get their shows with sometimes as much as 12 months delay...

Same goes for Apple TV, cell phones (still no iphones?!....), pretty much any kind of media content. I understand that other countries don't face the threat of a big invasive US neighbor on their own content, but still, it's getting ridiculous.

The CRTC should help in promoting home grown productions abroad and let canadians enjoy the best of what the rest of the world is already enjoying anyway. It's not doing our own media and telcom companies any good as they have to compare themselves to an incresingly better offer.

Seriously what is keeping rogers from offering the iphone, what is keeping apple tv from offering movie rentals ?? This is just encouraging bootlegging and across the border purchases...

rant..;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.