Hard Drive Icon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
I want to change the icon of my External HD, but I want to design my own icon. Where on my Mac can I find the full size USB icon?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
hmm, you should just be able to copy and paste, rather than replacing a system file.

Plug in your drive and let the disc mount on the desktop. Get Info for both the drive and your icon. Click the icon preview for your custom icon, then copy and paste it into the Info pane of the drive. That should take care of things.

If you want to change back, I think you can Get Info again, click the icon preview again and simply hit delete. This way, you're not overwriting any files and you keep everything intact.

This is how I changed the icon for my iPod.

Alternatively, you can use something like Candybar. I think this will apply the custom icon to all USB drives though, not just the one.

OP
Leukeh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't want to overwrite anything. I just want to get the fullsize copy of the icon, make my changes it and save it somewhere else so I don't overwrite - then do that copy+paste thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
not exactly sure where that is. It seems to have changed for Leopard. I think some icons could be found in System>Library>Core Services>Systemicons. If you're not on Leopard, you might be able to find it in there.

Another way around this might be to go to somewhere like interfacelift.com and search there for an icon to use instead, and use this as a base for your custom icon.

OP
Leukeh
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I can't find it there (I'm using Leopard) - I'll give interfacelift a look though =) Thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.