Free battery from Apple?

Reaction score
My PowerBook is over three years old and my battery is beyond dead. The power was unplugged for a couple minutes and my recharge time is 10 hours. If it's unplugged the battery lasts no longer than five minutes.

Obviously I need a new battery but it sucks that they're $120. If I do have to buy a new battery I'm buying on of those extra capacity ones. But I'm curious..

I have the notorious lower memory slot failure but I've neglected to get it fixed. Apple charges a flat rate for out of warranty repairs-- around $300 and they replace any hardware that is bad. So I'm wondering-- if I get the repair done by them, will they give me a new battery too or does that not count?

Or is there any other way I might be able to sneak a used or new battery from them by scheduling an appointment with a genius?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
I think the battery is specifically excluded from these types of 'flat rate' repair costs due to everyone using them differently and how widely their lives can vary.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.