Hard Drive Question

Reaction score
hey all...

just purchased a Macbook Pro "notebook" with a 160g hard drive.

upon receiving it i had some problems loading Garage Band, so Apple tech support walked me through a re-install after failing to fix the problem with other attempts.

no additional software has been loaded on this machine since i purchase it, and yet i notice the hard drive on states that i have 107g available.

i thought this was a 160g drive?

am i missing something?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
there are a lot of threads on this so a search may yield more information, but in essence, 160gb drive is not actually a 160gb drive because of the difference of 1000 mb vs 1024 mb to create a gb.

plus the installation of the os, the system software, ilife, the demo iwork and office software suites and the other various applications.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2Ghz C2D 4GB RAM 120GB HDD
Just like the poster above me said, you won't ever get 160GB of usable space from a 160GB drive based on what was mentioned. That being said, I would think you should have more than 107GB of free space if all you have loaded is OS X, iLife, and iWork and Office demo. Open disk utility and make sure you don't have another partition on your HDD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MacBook Pro 4GB 500GB 2.4Ghz
I bought my imac and it had a 250GB HD in it and when i got it, it had like 237GB or something like that
Actual storage will always be a little less.
By the way. Did you use the second disk that comes with you computer?
It will load most of the programs. if you do a optional install you can get all the apple loops and stuff like that.
Is the problem with garageband a little more severe than that ?
If so i might be able to help you

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.