Direct Connect

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
This was so easy in Tiger. At Christmas my puter was upgraded (?) to Leopard. Apart from some things that I'm hoping 10.5.2 will fix (for some reason ieatbrainz wouldn't work on tiger for me, but works now with leopard! also adobe cs2 refuses to install upgrades :Confused: ) I was reasonably content. Today I decided to rest my PC and put my mail on my mac... Putting thunderbird profile on my thumb drive would take over 2hrs???? so I thought I would direct connect... This was sooo easy with Tiger... but couldn't do this in Leopard :[

So far I have: enabled file sharing both smb and afp and both are enabled for both in the firewall.

Tried to connect by finder -> Go -> Connect to Server

In the PC I have disabled firewall, found the ip (I think but Mac says it's not there), enabled the folder/partition to sharing

I connected the two but Mac just fails and can't find my PC at all...

I've searched the net but I can't find instructs for direct connect with leopard (the only one I found was more of a rant with no success...

Thanks in advance..

PS should I have posted this in the Switcher's forum?

Has anyone succeeded with this or is it no longer possible with out added software...

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi thanks for your quick reply and sorry I didn't reply back quickly...

Unfortunately, this isn't what I'm looking for. I tried all the suggestions in them but I still couldn't get it to work (and tried to revise to what I don't have). But basically I don't have wireless nor a router. As I said something has changed in leopard (and hopefully it's something I can do and not a fix that I need to wait to be fixed with the update).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
How was the upgrade done? (upgrade, erase and install, etc... )
And how were you connecting before? (Ethernet, FireWire...?

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm I'm not sure how the upgrade was done (as my father did it for me and I would assume he would do an archive but I can't find a folder called previous system), but I did have to fix permissions (and ignore the SUIDs that are hopefully going to be fixed with 5.2) and verify disk failed but I also fixed that by just restarting in safe mode..

I'm using ethernet to connect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
If it's still not working after the repair and HD fix, I would suggest to re-install.
If there's nothing on it you really need, I would recommend the Erase and Install option. There have been numerous problems with other install options.
Which also, may be related to why you can't connect.
You were able to connect via Tiger, so we can presume you know how and the cable is good.
If you're still having problems after re-install, please post back!

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you so much for your help... I think you are right, but I thought it might be 'user error' hehe I won't be able to do a reinstall probably for a bit as i only have the disks that came with my mini to begin with and at the moment I have no plans to go back home at this time. Not that I do much of anything major on this but I thought I 'escaped' not having to do that hehe... Well when I do get this done, which hopefully won't be long, hopefully it will fix the issue.

I was thinking on reinstalling the updates, but I don't know if that would work with mac...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.