The truth about RAM?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
eMac 1.42ghz, 1.5MB RAM
Well, with the advent of Leopard, I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel for my eMac. I bought the computer with 1.42 Ghz processor, Tiger, Airport, Bluetooth, a wireless keyboard and mouse, and 512 MB of RAM (all extras I had to pay extra for at the time) and have yet to make any kind of upgrades since I've bought it... So I'm definitely not ready to get rid of it without making at least one last significant upgrade before I have to get a new computer. So I'm considering buying Leopard and upgrading the RAM. Here's where I have my dilemma... I've read so many different articles about RAM and the eMac, many times not even sure if they pertained to my model with a 1.42 ghz processor? So....! Can I upgrade this computer to 2GB of RAM? Can I upgrade it to 1.5GB and eventually toss the 512MB and stick in another 1GB stick? Or will I be forever maxed out at 1GB forever? Also, what are the details of this RAM? In other words, what kind of RAM do I tell the salesman that I want?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Mactracker says the max ram for this machine is this:

2.0GB (Actual) 1.0GB (Apple)

So it seems you can upgrade the machine to 2 GB. With 2 x 1GB sticks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
See my tutorial in my sig :)
My cuz has his 1.25GHz eMac at 2 GB, I think PC2700 RAM and it works perfectly fine with Leopard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.