SimpleTech external HD is now read-only

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
blackbook 2.0ghz 2gb
Hey everyone,
I have an 80gb usb SimpleTech external HD that I originally used on my PC about a year ago before getting my MacBook. Worked fine then, but after I got my MB the drive became "read-only" somehow and I can't delete, add, or edit files on it with my Mac, only a PC. I have no idea why this is and the SimpleTech website has nothing for me. Any ideas? I appreciate any help you can provide, thanks!
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM/320GB HD; BlackBook 2.4Ghz, 2GB RAM/250GB HD
Did you reformat your external HD in native Mac format? If not, your HD will indeed be read only (if previously formatted in native PC format, NTFS).

Transfer all of your files from the HD to your Mac, and then reformat the external HD. You can then put your data back on the HD, or use it with Time Machine as a backup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You may reformat to FAT32. Macs can read and write that format and as EORI said NTFS is readable only.

Reaction score
There is the macfuse driver which can enable writing to an NTFS drive - I have just done this with my 8Gb flash drive. Seems to work OK.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
blackbook 2.0ghz 2gb
You guys are awesome, I will try this out asap!

Reaction score
Hi,
i'm new to mac and a little confused
i installed the MacFuse core but i didn't find the NTFS-3G files
where can i find them ?
thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.